Cannot export HDV to tape ~ HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Cannot export HDV to tape ~ HELP!

Well ... The latest Adobe CS4 4.2 update has come and gone, and I still CANNOT export HDV out to my Sony Z1-U camera OR my Sony HVR-M15AU deck. The PC can output DV to tape, but not HDV. Vista Home Premium, 64 bit, 16 gigs RAM. For some reason I CANNOT get HDV to leave the PC, as the deck does not sense ANY HDV signal leaving the computer. Have tried ALL the camera & deck choices ... Capture & output of DV is AOK, capture from HDV is AOK, but cannot output to tape??????? Can burn to BluRay thru AME fine.

Are there ANY ideas here??? Is there a setting that I am missing on the computer to allow it to output HDV? The firewire port works totally fine EXCEPT for HDV output.

Lester Lightstone

HELP!!
Lester Lightstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Lester, and welcome to DVinfo.

Is it fair to say that you are only referring to PPro and haven't used other applications to try the Export to Tape, so it is PPro, rather than "the computer" per se?

I believe that Adobe hasn't supported HDV Export to Tape for a couple of iterations now. Seems that at one point they promised it would be back, but after so much time and several upgrades/updates without a fix, now I doubt it... especially since none of the Adobe experts chose to respond when you posted this question on the Adobe PPro forum.

The only thing I can see to do is export your timeline to a high quality file to act as an intermediate, then use some other software that does support export to tape. Wonky, for sure. If you haven't done so, file a feature request at Adobe. Doubt it'll help since many have complained about the loss of this feature, but all folks can do is keep asking for features they need or vote with their wallets, eh?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Lester,

Can you explain your workflow?. I've exported HDV to tape many times using Prem Pro CS3 and a Sony M15 deck.

Go to File/export to tape. Make sure your camera or M15 are switched on and set to record HDV and there is timecode on your tape.

I'm not sure with just Prem on its own (I use the Matrox RTx2) but you should see a window open with "Export to HDV" Export status ready.

The file format on your timeline will have to be converted back to HDV so there should be a button "Render and Record" HIt "Render and Record" and depending on the length of your timeline, go for a brew and come back, it does need to convert the file which should be about real time. As soon as its finished rendering it, your tape deck should start up and recording starts.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi Peter

I've gone thru this process many, many, many, times. When I hit "Render & Record" it attempts to render for about 1/4 second, then the "Render & Record" screen reappears. It does not want to render. I can attempt this repeatedly, but with NO success. This is where the "hangup loop" begins, and I cannot seem to get past this point! Can ANYONE help me solve this?

Peter ... What are your "SONY machine settings" within CS3?

Thanks!
Les L.

Last edited by Lester Lightstone; November 11th, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Les,

On my M15 (PAL) the IN/OUT REC - HDV/DV SEL - is set to HDV
so the REC MODE underneath is greyed out.

Make sure the iLink is set to OFF before you alter the HDV/DV SEL.

Can you post your Project settings. I know it sounds like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs (old English phrase) but you might just possibly have looked at them so many times that you've missed something without realising it.

Is it an HD project (obviously otherwise you wouldn't be having trouble) but what are the settings?

What frame rate, size etc are the clips on the timeline? Does the timeline play OK.

What is the length of the timeline, it takes a very long time to re-encode to HD, are you leaving it long enough. You might not see anything happening for a time and then the blue line will start to move (very slowly).

Have you tried another HD project, very short , a couple of minutes, what is the result.

Are you exporting the work area or the whole sequence. If there is any black at the beginning, this will increase the re-encoding time.

Do you have plenty of disk space. I think it might make a temp file before exporting. Matrox does saves in the Matrox folder on the C drive, I think, could be wrong but if your scratch disks do not have enough space it might be that.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Keep us informed.

Peter
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
New Boot

Adobe says I can ... but I CAN'T!!!

On the Adobe PPro CS4 support site, Adobe says ... "Adobe Premiere Pro can export HDV sequences in HDV format only onto tape in a connected HDV device (Windows only)."

How is this done????

For some reason I CANNOT export HDV to tape. The deck does not sense ANY HDV signal leaving the computer. Have tried ALL the camera & deck choices ... Capture & output of DV is AOK, capture from HDV is AOK, but cannot output to tape??????? Can burn to BluRay thru AME fine.

Is it possible I am missing a codec so that the deck is not sensing HDV output from CS4?
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Wrangler

I'd thought the HDV export was dropped, but I did a quick search of the PPro CS4 Help and found this:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Export a sequence to tape without device control

I don't use Export to Tape myself, but if following these directs exactly doesn't work for you, I will give it a try.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Another link to Adobe info, note that all your clips in the sequence have to be on-line for it to work....Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * About exporting to videotape / Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
I'd thought the HDV export was dropped, but I did a quick search of the PPro CS4 Help and found this:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Export a sequence to tape without device control

I don't use Export to Tape myself, but if following these directs exactly doesn't work for you, I will give it a try.
Hi Pete! I cannot export a sequence without device control either.
Les
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
Another link to Adobe info, note that all your clips in the sequence have to be on-line for it to work....Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * About exporting to videotape / Battle Vaughan
Hi B-V

All my timeline clips are on-line.

Les
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Lester,

Have you read my post *5.

We're trying to help but if you could let us know exactly how you've set up your project and M15 and your workflow, it might help us to help you.

Peter
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D. Parker View Post
Hi Les,

On my M15 (PAL) the IN/OUT REC - HDV/DV SEL - is set to HDV
so the REC MODE underneath is greyed out.

Make sure the iLink is set to OFF before you alter the HDV/DV SEL.

Can you post your Project settings. - Yes

Is it an HD project - HDV

What frame rate - 29.97
Size - 1440x1080

Are the clips on the timeline? - Yes

Does the timeline play OK? - Yes

What is the length of the timeline? 29 min 30 sec

Have you tried another HD project, very short , a couple of minutes, what is the result.

MAJOR DISCOVERY!! - If I create a NEW PROJECT, and import an HDV clip, I CAN export to HDV TAPE! work area over the clip. (hooray!) But ... If I go to the problem project, place that SAME clip on the timeline with the work area over clip (beyond the existing timeline material) I CANNOT export that clip.

Are you exporting the work area or the whole sequence. - As mentioned, the work area.

Do you have plenty of disk space. - Yes

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Keep us informed.

Peter

Hi Peter
SEE MY ANSWERS IN YOUR QUOTE.

Les
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #13
New Boot

Can export to HDV tape from one CS4 project, but not another

So ... Here's the latest info ..

MAJOR DISCOVERY!! - If I create a NEW PROJECT, and import an HDV clip, I CAN export to HDV TAPE! work area over the clip. (hooray!) But ... If I go to the problem project, place that SAME clip on the timeline with the work area over clip (beyond the existing timeline material) I CANNOT export that clip.

All settings for both projects are the same. Anyone have an idea why I can export HDV to tape in one project but not another?

Thanks!
Les L.
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #14
New Boot

A theory .....???

The ONLY reason I can come up with as to why I can export to HDV tape now (new project), and NOT previously is maybe this .... The project I am having trouble exporting was created using CS4 version 4.1

Is it possible that Adobe in their wisdom may have changed something in the new 4.2 release that is now enabling me to export HDV to tape. I experimented with a clip that I used inside my UNexportable project which was created with 4.1

I created a NEW project, imported that clip ... and VOILA! I can export to HDV tape from the new project!

Is my theory plausible?

Les L.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Inner Circle

So try importing the old project into a new one.

Your theory is certainly plausible, but more likely you just have a corrupt project. Importing it into a new one often solves a myriad of problems.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions