Advice needed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #16
Inner Circle

There's nothing wrong with getting a new system. I just doubt you really need one (and it's not like Core 2 CPUs are obsolete - Q6600 is a bit dated tho, and Q9550 is a nice step up).

I haven't gotten around to building an i7 yet (and I'm not in a big hurry), and I haven't tried fooling around with Premiere in years. I tried Premiere a few years back and just didn't care for it much at all (personal taste). Actually, there really is no NLE that I can say I think is great. They all have what I consider considerable weaknesses, but I do like Edius Neo quite a bit for basic editing (cut, splice, transitions). If Edius allowed access to encoding directly with 3rd party Windows codecs, I'd like it a whole whale of a lot more, and I'd really love to be able to encode directly from Edius with x264!
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I agree, Premiere is a resource hug, unlike Vegas. I wish engineers at Adobe would realize that making lean tight software benefits all in the game.

I admit that Q6600 is dated even for the Feb. 2007 when I built it. But I stuck with reliability/price ratio when choosing this CPU.

I guess I will wait and see what the reviews say about the upcoming i9 before considering any upgrades or builds.

Thank so much for your input!

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #18
Inner Circle

With MicroCenter fire-sale pricing Q9550s at $169, I look at replacing a Q6600 as sort of a no-brainer. When I saw they were doing that, I grabbed one the next time I was in the twin cities area (Minneapolis/St. Paul) to replace a Q6600. Q6600s are fetching around $140-$150 on eBay, so it took me about a nanosecond to do that math (total out-of-pocket cost of about $50 after sales tax, eBay fees, etc.). I talked with the manager there and they are indeed selling those below cost just to get people in the door.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions