Drive Spin Speeds at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Drive Spin Speeds

I am about to do a rebuild of my system as the sound no longer works on my mobo nor does front usb connections so I thought sod it, I'll get a new mobo and processor while I'm at it.

The problem - my hard drives. They are only a few months old and I think I was conned, I was sure I paid for 7200, but I just noticed that the ones installed are actually 5400.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 9 and edit HD from my Canon XH-G1

Will I notice any appreciable difference between the 5400 that I have and the 7200?

I have read a few articles, on sites to do with hard drives, that tell me there is far more to the read/write access/speed of a drive than just the spin speed, it all depends on what you are doing - but none explain what processes may be hindered by slower spin speeds
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Trustee

Have a look at StorageReview.com and compare the results of 5400 and 7200 RPM disks and decide for yourself.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions