Need advice on capture card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #1
New Boot

Need advice on capture card

Hi everyone!
I need technical advice. Currently, I’m in the process of switching my “one man army” video production business from SD to HD. Mainly I do wedding videos, that I deliver to my customers on DVDs.
My new editing computer is a customized Dell Studio XPS 9000 (Windows 7 Home Premium, i7 – 920 processor, 8GB memory, nVidea GeForce GT 220 1024MB), PP CS4, Sony Z5U.
My Canopus DV Storm2 capture card that I have been using for the last 8 years, needs to be replaced with a new capture card. I’m not technical enough to decide on a new capture card for my new system and they are not cheap too. So, I would really appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks.
Joseph Plekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What camera are you using?
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm using Sony Z5u
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Your system comes with a built in FW port, no? That's all you need. You don't need a capture card.

And if you eventually add the MRC1k to your arsenal -- it clips right onto the back of the Z5 -- you can just use a generic CF card reader.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #5
New Boot

Yes Adam, my system which is not delivered yet, has FW and I use MRC1K unit on my Z5U. But would I be able to output video from the timeline to my production monitor? On my existing system the production monitor is hooked up to a JVC miniDV deck, which is connected by a firewire cable to the capture card.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Connect the JVC deck to the computer's firewire port. Then hook it to your monitor as required. Mine JVC deck is hooked up the same way.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
New Boot

Thank you guys, looks like you've helped me to save a bunch of money. Really appreciate it.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Donations gladly accepted! ;)
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Your GT220 comes with HDMI, VGA and DVI outs, and offers multi-monitor support. So you don't even need to mess with FW for monitoring purposes. Just pick the interface that works with your monitors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions