UPRESING SD to HD & DOWNRESING HD TO SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old January 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1
New Boot

UPRESING SD to HD & DOWNRESING HD TO SD

We’re in the midst of editing a feature-length doc and have been sitting on the fence as to whether we should be editing it in SD or HD – we’re looking for advice regarding upresing our SD footage to HD, but also want to better understand what to expect when we down res the final HD output to SD – for DVD distribution for example. Any other general advice is welcome and much appreciated

Our source footage is:

-70% 1080/60i
-10% 1080/24p
-10% SD/29.97 Anarmorphic - converted from what was originally recorded as 1080/24p (unfortunately by previous editor - from pile of 100+ tapes, and without his original log files, would be impossible to track originals down to recapture)
-5% SD/29.97/720x480
-5% archival footage from 1950s: some is SD/29.97/720x480 sourced from an archive house, some is MPEG-4, 320 × 240, 29.97 fps, 2.74 Mbps - downloaded directly from archive.org - despite the low pixel res, it appears to capture the full quality of the grainy original

Currently, our thinking is we will edit a final cut in 1080/60i for its primary showing at a conference, and may also shop it around to broadcasters – however the long-term fate of the video is realistically going to be distributed as a SD DVD.

I understand that upresing is best performed by a variety of hardware options but considering our limited budget, what about using Compressor? How does Compressor compare with other software options like Boris?
What can we expect in the process of dowresing our final HD output to SD – specifically with the footage that was originally SD – was upressed to HD – and now being downressed back to its original format? Or is this silly, would it be worth re-visitng the 20% of the film that was originally SD and re-inserting the original SD clips for the SD output? Obviously, we’d prefer to cut just one version (HD) and down-res the entire thing for SD distribution – we’re also short for time, so would prefer not to complicate our workflow with the need for 2 edits – but looking to better understand al the trade-offs that come with these decsions.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise, much appreciated.
Jason OHara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No Expert BUT..

I'm far from the expert but since you've gotten no other responses...I would be reluctant to uprez 480i to 1080 the first time and wouldn't think about uprezzing then doing a downrez for final SD distribution. Personally, since your primary delivery will be in SD anyway, I'd drop all footage into a SD sequence and edit from there. Viewing audiences are used to seeing 4:3 and 16:9 mixes as it's done so frequently in broadcast these days, especially since this is archival footage, that I think you'll be fine there too. And while HD is nice for presentation, it's not yet the expected norm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions