Any 1080p Premier Pro codec/plugins that might work on a notebook? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Any 1080p Premier Pro codec/plugins that might work on a notebook?

Are there any plugins that might be available from Adobe or others to edit 1920 x 1080p video in Premier Pro?

That is, in addition to Prospect HD; unless there’s a Prospect HD viewer only (not licensed to convert anything into the Prospect HD format), then perhaps a Thomson/Grass Valley Spirit 2K/4K DataCine film scanner to Prospect HD format conversion could first be done at some service provider in Southern California, if such exists; since I only need to do some restoration work on 1 or 2 fairly short 16/35mm films, sometime in the next year. Otherwise what formats in addition to CineForm HD (CFHD) may be available as an intermediate to retain 1920 x 1080p data or perhaps allow for PPro editing directly? I will normally be editing HDV in Aspect HD on a notebook that I’m now considering. Alternatively if the 1080p codecs aren’t available would it be better to wait a year or so for PPro 2.0 to provide for further HD options and various conversion programs to get written?

The notebook could be a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 (HP zd8000, with 2MB L2 cache, 800 MHz front-side bus with 2GB DDR2 533MHz SDRAM and a 5400 RPM drive, with a 1680 x 1050 display for $2482 from costco.com; using a LaCie 1 terabyte Firewire-800, 7200 RPM external drive, transferring 55MB/s sustained, costco $850+PCMCIA card) if it’s all sufficient to edit 720p; and occasionally a couple of streams of 1920 x 1080p in Premier Pro with After Effects? Significantly without dropping any frames in the edited result; however I wouldn't particularly care if it skipped over frames that I might just see during editing occasionally. Since I’m fairly mobile, a desktop processor would be a real problem. Finally if any basic HD formatting or general compressor/decompressor information is described anywhere else a simple reference would suffice; however I haven’t been able to find it so far.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...computer_store

(Boxx and 1 Beyond laptops seem that they could work well, but may be a bit high end for something changing so rapidly; in fact their basic configurations are not significantly different from the HP zd8000 mentioned. Although Dell’s Inspiron XPS has a 1920 x 1200 display, however they switched from a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 to an M series at 2.1Ghz which looks like a problem; and their claim that the 2MB cache overcomes this is probably false since various Pentium 4s as HP’s are using the same size cache; so I’ll sacrifice HD screen resolution for processor speed.)
Ed Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

CineForm has start signing up film scanning and HD telecine companies to encode 1920x1080p24 (10-bit) straight into the film version of CineForm Intermediate. To work on this footage (even on a laptop) CineForm has started selling an edit only version of Prospect HD. This might be what you need. Prospect HD edit is available with the Adobe tools suite for $2499, this is a full RT version of the 10-bit product minus the HD-SDI ingest. Information is available here : http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHDBundles.htm. If you are interested in this workflow I can point you to the companies that will convert your film to CineForm AVIs.
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you David. As telecine companies incorporate the CFHD format perhaps your site might mention the hardware or service providers. Los Angeles or Southern California would be local if scan to CFHD is available.

The Prospect HD hardware configuration notes suggest that something like an HP zd8000, 3.4GHz, 2GB, 800FSB should be able to do some editing. Might that be perhaps two, but not likely three 1920 x 1080p streams? And as the hardware limits are exceeded I gather frames get unexpectedly dropped; is that just on the display or in the edited result?

If I have the Ppro&AE software, what might the cost be of an edit-only version of Prospect? Also would this version be of use for integrating captured HDV materials into 1920 x 1080p, or for separately working with 720p30?
Ed Marrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have companies on both coasts, but it is early days so we haven't put their info on our web site yet. For southern California scanning into CineForm Intermediate contact www.pixelharvest.com -- say I sent you.

Yes that laptop will work. Drive speed will be the only issue (edit from a firewire drive.) As the new of stream or filters increase the preview will drop frames but your final output will be perfect.

As we are an Adobe OEM the price doesn't drop significantly without those tools, so it comes standard with them. Prospect HD supports all the HDV resolutions and HDSDI resolutions up to 1920x1080.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions