DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HDV post issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/473364-hdv-post-issue.html)

Ryan Thomas February 22nd, 2010 10:52 AM

HDV post issue

I have footage that I shot with a JVC GY-HD110 in 720p24 and captured with Premiere CS4. I am running Vista 64, 4gb ram, dual 2.4ghz processors.

I try to watch the .mpeg footage in Media Player and it won't play. Also, when the footage is in the Premiere timeline, the audio and the video are NOT synced. If I play the footage back in the camera, they ARE synced. Whats the trick? Do I need to download some kind of codec/encoder?

Thanks.
Ryan

Andrew Smith February 23rd, 2010 07:51 AM

Has this setup worked previously? That would be my first question.

If you should be needing codecs, an excellent source is the K-Lite Codec Pack which is free to download.

Andrew

Harm Millaard February 23rd, 2010 05:27 PM

Andrew,

You must be a fan of reformatting and fresh installs of OS and programs. Advising anybody to commit kamikaze by using K-Lite goes against my judgment. K-Lite is about the worst pack to install on any machine, it is worse than a tsunami.

Andrew Smith February 23rd, 2010 07:00 PM

I'm quite surprised. Just adding codecs to a Windows installation should not affect any software installs at all. Just makes 'em available for use.

K-lite does come in 3 different configurations / weights according to how much you wish to install. I for one really do like Media Player Classic - it just simply works, and it also gives me extra properties information for video clips.

Andrew

Harm Millaard February 24th, 2010 06:34 AM

Andrew,

I use MPC as well, but it does not require K-Lite to function.

Andrew Smith February 24th, 2010 08:32 AM

True, true. And it goes to show what can be done without megabytes of file size for an executable.

My main reason for suggesting K-lite is that you can get a whole bunch of codecs installed fairly easily. If the problem is a missing codec issue, then this is an easy way to fix it.

Speaking of which ... whatever happened to Ryan?

Andrew

Ryan Thomas February 25th, 2010 10:56 AM

I have edited HDV with no problem before, but it was shot with a XH-A1. I have been reading that the JVC and Premiere don't seem to work well with each other? I think I am just going to try capturing with Cineform. Thanks.

Harm Millaard February 26th, 2010 09:15 PM

JVC and PR do not work well together if you are talking about MOD files.

Tim Borek March 10th, 2010 09:07 AM

Capturing HDV with Cineform

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas (Post 1490915)
I have edited HDV with no problem before, but it was shot with a XH-A1. I have been reading that the JVC and Premiere don't seem to work well with each other? I think I am just going to try capturing with Cineform. Thanks.

Ryan, which Cineform product are you using to capture HDV footage into Premiere?

Tim Kolb March 18th, 2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Thomas (Post 1490915)
I have been reading that the JVC and Premiere don't seem to work well with each other?

Not that capturing with CineForm is a bad idea...but I've used 720p23.98 HDV footage from a JVC camera in Premiere CS3 and CS4 without an issue... I'm not sure what all the available nuances are in the settings though as I don't use a JVC camera myself.

So I guess the primary point is that I don't think there is necessarily some permanent issue between PPro and the JVC ProHD cameras... Which model was the footage shot on? Was it an older model or a newer one? I think the stuff I edited was from a 110...

Sareesh Sudhakaran March 19th, 2010 03:21 AM

Prem Pro and JVC don't gel directly. mpeg streamclip doesn't help either. cineform works perfectly and if you don't want to go that route but can record directly on a laptop, use onlocation and stream from a firewire to the recording device.

But go for cineform if you can, it will make your editing and finishing a lot less time consuming.