HD To Sd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 25th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD To Sd

Hi i have just shot a band and done a promotional Video for the Band

Shot on Sony z1 and Canon AXH1

exported using h264

however, i have problems after i have burnt in IDVD

the footage is all shaky, i understand the footage is going to be lower res, but its really shaky

could it be IDVD or the actual Codec.

Thanks

Ollie
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Major Player

There are many technological terms for the word "Shakey" , when used with video , one of the first ones that people will apply the word shakey to, is an interlace problem.
interlace is the wonderfull thing that helps out motion video by displaying 1/2 of the video in a feild, 2 times as fast as the frame itself
---------odd----------
---------even---------
---------odd----------
---------even---------
---------odd----------
---------even---------
etc

If these lines of video are not in the right places the word "shakey" could be applied.
if the lines are reversed in thier display, or the lines are not intermingled properly when turned to "progressive" displays.

Second thing that comes to mind is Frame Rate, if you mix up frame rates or change them and dont use frame interpolations and stuff like that you can get a video that looks "shakey". Generally it is good to shoot in the frame rate that you intend to output, if you change the frame rates for speeding up or slowing down, it is often helpfull that they be even fractions of the original, or (again) interpolated so it doesnt look so bad.

The third thing is of course that the camera work itself is "shakey" :-) aka blair witch style, but because we already know your not talking about your camera work, it probably is one of the first 2.

If it is an interlace issue, then a FREEZE frame of the video or playing in slow motion, might allow you to DESCRIBE MORE about what you mean by "shakey" often interlace issues will show up as liney things that arent right, the motion looks messed up, and if you freeze the picture you can see that the pixels arent where they are supposed to be.

If it is a Frame rate issue, then STEP-FRAME through the video one frame at a time, and see if there is similar motion between each frame. that might help you to describe more about what your seeing, by actually seeing it.

if there is another thing (of the 101) that it is, you will still have to be more desciptive of the problem, there is so MANY :-) possibilities.

Another way would be to simply upload one of your VOB files, to a online server thing so people can see and attempt to determine what "shakey" means in technoterms.
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

but when exported, it is really fine its when it goes from quicktime to IDVD

THE quicktime file plays fine i haven't used compressor.this time round.

when from HD1080I - to sd using dv pal anamorphic and change aspect ratio in quicktime options.

i already de-interlaced it before i exported it one copy from the fcp filter

and one from the quicktime option.

Thanks
Ollie Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions