DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   hdv and dv footage look horrible on lcd/hdtvs!!!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/47366-hdv-dv-footage-look-horrible-lcd-hdtvs.html)

Dan Farzad July 8th, 2005 12:37 AM

hdv and dv footage look horrible on lcd/hdtvs!!!!!

I have been searching to get a tv where i can actually see the stuff i have shot. unfortunately i dont have a composite cable handy but with the av cable the footage looks terrible even the DV footage. I have tried variety of lcd and rear projection tvs but almost all the same. I have to mension that i have this camera only for 3 weeks but the footage look gorgeous on the lcd monitor of tv or tube tvs (at least the DV footage).
could u guys please guide of how i should approach this.
right now i'm just viewing my footage i havent even start capturing yet.
when i am looking for an hdtv/lcd tv what should i keep in mind and look for in order to be able to see a presenatble image to my clients.
should i still keep with tube tvs for my dv footage, both editingwhise and presentationwhise.

Steve Crisdale July 8th, 2005 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
I have been searching to get a tv where i can actually see the stuff i have shot. unfortunately i dont have a composite cable handy but with the av cable the footage looks terrible even the DV footage. I have tried variety of lcd and rear projection tvs but almost all the same. I have to mension that i have this camera only for 3 weeks but the footage look gorgeous on the lcd monitor of tv or tube tvs (at least the DV footage).
could u guys please guide of how i should approach this.
right now i'm just viewing my footage i havent even start capturing yet.
when i am looking for an hdtv/lcd tv what should i keep in mind and look for in order to be able to see a presenatble image to my clients.
should i still keep with tube tvs for my dv footage, both editingwhise and presentationwhise.

Do try to connect your camera to any HDTV via the COMPONENT connection (Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr) at the very least.

Connecting via Composite (A/V connection) will give no better than SD quality output - YUK!!

I know there's plenty of CRT proponent on here, but I for one moved from a CRT 100Hz HDTV with an amazing quality picture to an LCD HDTV because I considered the LCD image even better. If going LCD, make sure the pixel count is at least 1280x720 and for CRT that it's at least 100Hz.

If I was intending to go to a client to demo HDV material, I'd definitely go LCD. If you haven't yet tried to lift a WS HDTV CRT... you're in for a shock!! LCD HDTV's are much, much lighter and portable for the same size of screen.

CRT HDTV's are cheaper, but much more likely to become obsolescent in the very near future... possibly making replacement/repair difficult down the track. LCD HDTV's require globe replacement after a set number of hours, which while simple could present another obstacle if you aren't close to a service centre.

Either way, you want the largest screen you can afford, with the highest 'true' resolution and the most connection options... Oh, and multi-format - which most newer sets should be.

Hope those thoughts give you something to go on...

Dan Farzad July 8th, 2005 11:35 AM

is it normal that i'm not even getting a good SD image on the LCD monitors with the component AV? and yet on the regular CRTs (SD based of course) i get the close enough image?

Anhar Miah July 8th, 2005 07:00 PM

Viewing an SD image on a HD set will look awful, because it will expose all the flaws(propably like "zooming" into the image)
however watching SD image on an SD set will look much better.

One way around is to have an uprezzer or scaler/lindoubler gadget that pass the SD signal though before connecting to your HD set, thats probably why some high end DVD players include upscalers inside them(for HD use)

Steve Crisdale July 8th, 2005 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
is it normal that i'm not even getting a good SD image on the LCD monitors with the component AV? and yet on the regular CRTs (SD based of course) i get the close enough image?

You got it.

Anhar's explaination is pretty accurate. SD material that is broadcast on Free to Air HD channels is only barely watchable because of high quality upscalers.

SD stuff can look OK on a HDTV screen if it displays in a much smaller area... but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a large WS High Definition display device doesn't it?!!

Randy Donato July 8th, 2005 09:34 PM

"CRT HDTV's are cheaper, but much more likely to become obsolescent in the very near future..."
I doubt that will happen anytime soon. HDV is interlaced and lives in a yuv colorspace. An LCD has higher resolution than an 800 line professional CRT but it is RGB and progressive. Given the colorspace differences a CRT is much better for color correcting than an RGB monitor but if it is properly calibrated it can get close. If you are going to do both SD and HDV work I would look at a multiformat monitor that does 480i, 720p and 1080i. You will not get SD to look worth showing to a client on an LCD and I have both a 1920x1080 LCD and a Sony CRT(component from my Canopus NX card) but if I had to pick one it is the CRT....just that much more reliable for color work and the resolution is super but not pixel accurate like the LCD.Each has its own merits but a CRT that will do both SD and 1080i is the best choice IMHO.

Steve Crisdale July 9th, 2005 08:44 PM

OK Randy... I guess the terminology to describe hardware for viewing HD material tends to be used far too flexibly. Unfortunately that's the nature of this new technological beast. HDTVs shouldn't be referred to as 'monitors' for the sake of clarity, but the fact that many are now capable of being used as such via RGB, DVI or s-video connectors muddies the waters somewhat.

For those citizens who have no real desire - or need - to become computer literate HDV video editors; but for the sake of an improved viewing experience, decide to enter the HD arena, the primary concern is a viewing device capable of providing the family and themselves with everything HD is supposed to deliver. The perameters for viewing device selection in such a circumstance will be somewhat different to those for individuals who are producing the HD content.

I agree that generally LCD computer monitors are not as 'nice' to view HD content on as CRT computer monitors, but I'd also contend that a well engineered and spec'd large screen - that's larger than 32" - LCD HDTV is at the very least equal if not superior to a CRT HDTV of the same dimensions.

As the price of LCD HDTV panels continues to plummet, the ratio of LCD HDTVs to CRT HDTVs on major electrical retailer shop floors is changing. For the manufacturer LCD HDTV technology is easier and cheaper to ship in quantity; while for the purchaser it's light enough - and without the massive depth of a CRT HDTV, easy enough to place conveniently.

I'd also suggest that after editing HD/HDV material on a good CRT computer monitor, it'd be worthwhile to view the finished product on a good quality large screen HDTV similar or superior to those that consumers are likely to be viewing it on...