DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Firewire help? FCP help? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/475269-firewire-help-fcp-help.html)

Jordan Meserole March 21st, 2010 11:32 AM

Firewire help? FCP help?

I recently upgraded my mac, however I'm having trouble recognizing the camera in FCP.

The old one used a 4-to-6 pin firewire, and worked fine. The new one uses a 4-to-9 pin, and I can't get it to work for the life of me.

I'm using a Sony FX7 as my "deck", which is what I used on the old computer.

I'm editing in FCP 6, and trying to upload HDV1080i from the camera.

Is there a trick that I'm missing? Could it be a bad firewire? (I've tried using the "easy setup" settings the same way I did before on the old computer with no success...and I've tried to use just about every "easy" setting listed just to be sure).

Has anyone else had a problem when going from a 4/6 to a 4/9?

Is it just that the FX7 doesn't work well with a 9 pin transfer?

Any help or "tricks" to try would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------
Excuse any double posts, as I'm new at this thing.

Jordan Meserole March 21st, 2010 01:05 PM

Update

So I checked in my system profiler, and it definitely shows the computer as reading the camera (under the firewire section, it shows "Sony FX7" with all the information about the transfer rate, etc.)...

So I'm thinking it is something wrong I'm doing in Final Cut.

Ideas?

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------
Excuse the double posts, as I'm new at this thing.

Martin Mayer March 21st, 2010 01:39 PM

Is your new Mac a Pro? with 6-pin FW400 sockets as well? In which case, I'd try them with your old 6-4pin FW cable, to eliminate a bad 9-4pin FW cable.

Also: The FX7 couldn't have been set to accidentally convert from HDV to DV, could it?

Jordan Meserole March 21st, 2010 02:56 PM

It is a Pro. But it doesn't have any of the 6-pin ports on it -- just 9-pin and USB. (Is that normal?)

And I checked the camera -- on the flip screen it shows "HDV1080i" and I made sure that the video out settings were set to HDV and 1080...

I also tried it on my FX1000 with same results. (no recognition)

But my other question is, if in the Mac's system profiler it's recognizing the camera, that would tend to mean the cable is good, right? (Under the "firewire" section, it shows the connection as "FX7").

My one problem with the cable is I live in a town where none of the stores carry the 9-to-4 pin...so I'd have to ship back to B&H and wait the 5-7 days to get a new one just to see if that was the problem. :-/

Thanks for your help.

Graeme Hay March 21st, 2010 10:33 PM

Check how your camera is set for output, I don't know if your camera has it but my photo-camera has trouble because it has Mass Storage (for when you want to hook up and transfer files and the camera acts as an external drive) and PTP for when you want the computer to capture images from the camera.

If you camera is showing up as a Drive on your computer when you plug it in, you may have Mass Storage on.