DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Anyone encoded HDV to H.264 streaming? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/47730-anyone-encoded-hdv-h-264-streaming.html)

Kaku Ito July 29th, 2007 09:53 AM

Jeff, is that streaming from streaming server or downloadable? It seems it is working as downloadable but maybe I was watching the wrong one.

Jeff Mack July 29th, 2007 10:21 AM

Kaku,

I guess they are downloadable. When I build my page, I actually place the file on my page versus linking to it. This lets it automatically play when selected. If I send the files up and then just link to them, you have to download it before the viewer opens. The problem with my setup is with lartge files, the file plays faster than the download.

Jeff

Jeff Sayre January 20th, 2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Johnson (Post 710025)
Hi Jeff,

I was very impressed with your method and the results. I first saw this post about a week ago, at which time I visited your website and watched The Adventures of Thomas Brin series. I was wondering if you're still using the same technique as you were in '05, as outlined below?

Thanks, Rob. I'm sorry for the long delay in answering your question. Is 6 months that long? Yikes!

You've probably already figured out a good solution by now, but just in case, here it goes.

The short answer is no! My encoding process is much simpler now. All I do is export to a QuickTime movie through FCStudio 2. You can also use Compressor, but for web-based video presentations, I've found that there is little benefit.

The following procedure takes me 5 minutes or less to setup and launch. Here's what I do:

1. In FCP, choose File > Export > Using QuickTime Conversion
2. For Format, select "QuickTime Movie" (or "iPod" if you want)
3. Select the "Options" button
4. Select the "Settings" button:

- Choose H.264
- Frame Rate keep to default
- Keyframes set at 15 (or 12) depending on your fps (30 versus 24)
- Set Compressor Quality slider to a little less than Medium
- Select Okay

5. Select the "Size" button. Set at an appropriate aspect ratio and size for your web purposes. Then hit "Okay".
6. Select the "Audio" button. Choose IMA 4:1 at 24 kHz and normal quality. Then hit "Okay".
7. Name your file, hit "Save", and let it go.

Encoding time varies and may take quite awhile. It is not real time.

This is how I've done all my QT H.264 encoding for websites for over a year and a half now. It works very well for me. You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you. Good luck!

John Cash March 25th, 2008 04:41 PM

Jeff...I went to your site but I cant find the clips. can you tell me where to look? Thanks

Betsy Moore March 27th, 2008 07:06 PM

What's the highest quality video a "civillian" can reasonably post on a web site? Could I post a readable MP4 version of my 108050i final cut pro sequence?

John Stakes March 31st, 2008 08:55 AM

i'm not sure but I know vimeo allows you to post HD footage.

Rob Johnson December 21st, 2008 09:08 AM

Hey Jeff, it looks as though we were in the same boat as I too have been out of the loop for a while, but would nonetheless like to thank you for your response.

Last year I did find a satisfactory way of encoding files to H264, then hadn't worked on some projects for a while, and for the life of me couldn't remember what I had used/done to get such a good result, i.e. export from QTP? Adobe Media Encoder? Squeeze? And at what settings? Don't you just love that!

Anyway, I have tried your most recently outlined method and it gives very good results. Needless to say it has simplified things greatly. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre (Post 811392)
Thanks, Rob. I'm sorry for the long delay in answering your question. Is 6 months that long? Yikes!

You've probably already figured out a good solution by now, but just in case, here it goes.

The short answer is no! My encoding process is much simpler now. All I do is export to a QuickTime movie through FCStudio 2. You can also use Compressor, but for web-based video presentations, I've found that there is little benefit.

The following procedure takes me 5 minutes or less to setup and launch. Here's what I do:

1. In FCP, choose File > Export > Using QuickTime Conversion
2. For Format, select "QuickTime Movie" (or "iPod" if you want)
3. Select the "Options" button
4. Select the "Settings" button:

- Choose H.264
- Frame Rate keep to default
- Keyframes set at 15 (or 12) depending on your fps (30 versus 24)
- Set Compressor Quality slider to a little less than Medium
- Select Okay

5. Select the "Size" button. Set at an appropriate aspect ratio and size for your web purposes. Then hit "Okay".
6. Select the "Audio" button. Choose IMA 4:1 at 24 kHz and normal quality. Then hit "Okay".
7. Name your file, hit "Save", and let it go.

Encoding time varies and may take quite awhile. It is not real time.

This is how I've done all my QT H.264 encoding for websites for over a year and a half now. It works very well for me. You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you. Good luck!