DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Archiving EX1 projects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/497007-archiving-ex1-projects.html)

Patrik Vale June 10th, 2011 11:59 AM

Archiving EX1 projects

Hi!

We are shooting videos using EX1 cameras and editing in Premiere CS5 now.
We burn finished projects to blu-ray, dvd, and some of the videos go to youtube and vimeo.
For archiving purpose, we would like to retain the original soruce quality..
But how to export from PremiereCS5, and not to loose quality from original EX1 files.
Would it be as simple as exporting MPEG2 at 35mbits? And is it possible to rewrap that file to a BPAV structure to be readable by Clip Browser..?

Thanks for any tips on this...

R Geoff Baker June 10th, 2011 08:23 PM

Re: Archiving EX1 projects

Your Premiere project links to source files -- save those source files as they are, and the Premiere project file. You don't save the source files 'from' Premiere, you simply save the ones you already have as well as the project file that links to them. If you have source files that you don't want to save -- unused material or poor takes, for instance -- just delete them. The only complication is if you have very long takes that you want to trim down to something smaller ... my advice is don't try. The amount of space you'd save isn't worth the aggravation.

I just use a HDD of appropriate size to save all the source files, project files, graphics, audio & music -- and then bill the client for the drive, write their name on it & stick it on a shelf.

Cheers,
GB

Bart Walczak June 13th, 2011 02:36 AM

Having had multiple archived hard drives fail on us we decided to stick with tape archive, and never looked back since.

Warren Kawamoto June 28th, 2011 12:17 AM

Bart, what make and model tape drive do you use? How fast is it to backup? How many gigs can it hold?
Thanks!

Shaun Roemich June 28th, 2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Geoff Baker (Post 1657422)
I just use a HDD of appropriate size to save all the source files, project files, graphics, audio & music -- and then bill the client for the drive, write their name on it & stick it on a shelf.

In terms of limiting one's liability, I wonder if there isn't a "reasonable expectation" that the client could have that the program is actually ARCHIVED at that point (since you are line item charging for the drive...) and if said HD was to fail that you might liable...

Would it perhaps make sense to just ensure that rates are high enough to buy a hard drive without actually billing the client? This is what I do for long term clients.

Food for thought, having JUST brought back two externals "from the dead" containing the contents of a $42k project from 3 years ago...

R Geoff Baker June 29th, 2011 04:54 AM

1) If you live somewhere where lawsuits of this type are common, or even possible, than of course do whatever it takes to help you sleep at night. If 'burying' the line item will save you, go for it; if losing an 'archived' anything would leave you on the hook for replacing it ... well, hire an attorney. Or at least get better legal advice than any posted here.
2) I have used literally scores of HDDs. I have a shelf stacked with them. I have (my personal experience, no legal promise implied or intended) never had one that wouldn't spin up if it was healthy when I put it down. Just last week I spun up a drive I thought had a graphic I wanted on it -- I bought that drive in 1998, and it has sat on a shelf since 2002 or so. The only drives I've had fail were working when they did so. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
GB