DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   HP Debuts an All-in-One 27" Xeon-based Workstation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/506108-hp-debuts-all-one-27-xeon-based-workstation.html)

Steve Struthers March 14th, 2012 06:48 PM

HP Debuts an All-in-One 27" Xeon-based Workstation

This beast is not likely to appeal to many consumers (except the well-heeled, maybe), but it looks like HP have brought out a competitor to the iMac that goes a few steps beyond and offers tool-less user serviceability to boot. Prices start at $1899.
Looks like it might be a pretty compelling video editing workstation.

Introducing the HP Z1 Workstation - YouTube

Harm Millaard March 15th, 2012 02:13 AM

Re: HP Debuts an All-in-One 27" Xeon-based Workstation

Not to me, with that price, the very weak CPU, integrated graphics, limited RAM, only one 3.5" slot and the PSU. Even fully loaded at more than double the original price, the only thing that speaks for it is the screen.

It certainly is not a beast and calling it a workstation is misleading. It is nothing more than a very poor performing system with great looks, a great monitor and an even bigger price.

Craig Parkes March 16th, 2012 12:46 PM

Harm, I disagree, the thing that speaks to me about this is the design. All in one design that is user servicable is a very strong proposition for on set work from a design point of view, as it's more robust than a laptop, more servicable than a laptop, but has a smaller transport footprint than a workstation plus monitor.

As long as it is powerful enough to do the job, and can have replacement parts installed in the field, the price can become a secondary factor if you are travelling with a production.

If you are just looking at it in terms of it fulfilling a role that a traditional desktop would fulfill, but with a smaller floorspace footprint, it's less of an appealing proposition. If you look at it as something in between a laptop and workstation for those doing on set work (either photographic or video DIT type work) then the fact that it is inbetween becomes an advantage in certain circumstances, rather than a compromise.

Harm Millaard March 16th, 2012 01:15 PM

Craig,

I agree with the concept, but not the components used. CPU, memory, disk and GPU are less than a decent notebook for the same price.

If this were offered with an i7 quad core + HT, 16 or 32 GB memory, a nVidia GTX 550+M and three disk bays, yes it would be attractive, at least with a price of $ 4000 or less.

You said: "As long as it is powerful enough to do the job".

That is exactly were the problem is, it is not powerful enough, far from it. It is way too slow to get anything done.

Craig Parkes March 16th, 2012 01:55 PM

Guess we'd have to take into consideration exactly what job that is then. I guess steve did say video editing workstation, but that doesn't really mean anything to me anymore (and I work as a post production supervisor). Video needs have become incredibly varied from user to user, so while workstation power is a big issue, and price is a big issue, functional design, especially if it's the only machine of it's type on tthe market, can charge a premium.

And until there is a competitor with similiar form function on the market I simply would never make a decison about good enough without hands on testing. I have learnt not to judge computers by specs alone, ESPECIALLY when looking at stuff that may need to go on the road.