HDV Capture, Premiere Pro Alternative? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Major Player

HDV Capture, Premiere Pro Alternative?

I'm currently capturing some HDV tapes (using a Z7 as the tape deck) but sometimes when I'm capturing within Premiere it just stops at a random time (the time on Premiere's capture window freezes at this time) and doesn't capture the rest, while the Z7 keeps playing.

I've done 3 so far that have worked ok, I had to do one of them twice because it only captured like 15 mins of it.

I've currently tried to capture the 4th tape twice and it' stop now at 22mins the first time and 6mins the second time. I've not got anything else running while it's capturing so that shouldn't be the issue.

Just wondering, are there any other alternatives? HDVSplit doesn't seem to work with the Z7 so I can't use that.

Thanks
Matt Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HDV Capture, Premiere Pro Alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Just wondering, are there any other alternatives?
How about using a free trial of Sony Vegas?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Surprised HDV Split didn't work for you. I'm using it on both XP , Vista Ultimate 64, and Vista Home 32 with an assortment of Canon HDV cameras. I've read threads that HDV split has trouble on Windows 7 machines.

Have you tried Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder? There's another free program called VLC that I've used to capture HDV under Linux. There's a Windows version of that.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn View Post
Surprised HDV Split didn't work for you. I'm using it on both XP , Vista Ultimate 64, and Vista Home 32 with an assortment of Canon HDV cameras. I've read threads that HDV split has trouble on Windows 7 machines.
I think HDVSplit requires the legacy firewire driver on Windows 7. The new firewire drivers have added security features to prevent an unauthorized devices from reading and writing directly to system memory. If you are worried about a thief sneaking into your computer room, connecting a special firewire device to you computer and obtaining access to the system memory, don't install the legacy driver.

Physical memory attacks via Firewire/DMA - Part 1: Overview and Mitigation (Update) | Uwe Hermann

Last edited by Eric Olson; September 2nd, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions