Resolve 12 with Sony HDV footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Resolve 12 with Sony HDV footage

Hi all,

I've downloaded Resolve 12 with the intention of evaluating it for editing Sony created HDV (1440x1080i50) files. The file formats that come out of the card reader are *.M2T, but Resolve doesn't appear to be able to read these files. They simply don't show up in the media view.

I'm going to have to stick with CS5 for now, but it would be interesting to see if anyone else has come across this and might know how to get these files working in Resolve 12?

Thanks. :-)

Kind regards, A.
Andrew Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Resolve 12 with Sony HDV footage

You may have to repack it into .mov and have the FCP Pro codecs. I know that might work on the Mac, but on the PC, that's something Blackmagic needs to look into.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
You may have to repack it into .mov and have the FCP Pro codecs. I know that might work on the Mac, but on the PC, that's something Blackmagic needs to look into.
The BM Support guys came back to me with this:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Blackmagic support.

M2T files are not currently supported within Resolve. I will mark this ticket as a feature request for the attention of the development team. I cannot comment on the possibility of future features or give a timescale for the development of such features.

You could import the files by transcoding them into a supported codec. There are many applications that can convert to supported codecs such as HandBrake. This application will generate a supported MP4 H.264 file that can be imported into Resolve. Please find a link to the HandBrake website below.

https://handbrake.fr/

I have also included a link below to a blog post in which someone covers converting M2T files for import into Resolve.

MTS footage won?t work in DaVinci Resolve(Lite)- Fixed - Website of hd-video-transferring-mac-wins!

I hope this helps.
Andrew Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Nice that you got a detailed response from them.

Did you try it and if so, how did it work?
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

I did indeed try it, along with several other pieces of software. I couldn't get any of them to work reliably. Instead, I used Adobe Media Encoder to transcode for me. That kind of defeated the object of the exercise because I was doing all this so I can migrate from Adobe products to Black Magic Design products.

As it turned out, I ditched Resolve and took out an Adobe CC subscription. I still have Resolve, but I don't use it for any live projects. It has possibly changed a lot since I last looked at it, but it's unlikely I'll get chance to do just that, any time soon.

Kind regards, Andrew.
Andrew Prince is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions