Storage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 26th, 2016, 03:59 AM   #1
Trustee

Storage

Hi Guys, I have three computers. Three monitors, all three have 1tb space. On each computer I have two external hard drives. After each wedding I download all footage to all externals but only edit from one external. When my film has been edited I burn the DVDs then delete footage of all externals apart from the one edited from.Hand over the DVD and if changes needed then I work from the original edit and the one external.
After three months I then delete all footage leaving me the blu-ray or sd disc for further copies later on if needed.
Is there a simpler way with a larger external hard drive or do I need some other kind of storage system.
30/40 weddings per year plus some corporate.
All seems OK buts it best to spread like I am doing or as I say get other system.
Steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Storage

Read the post below this one. I'm using 8TB drives (5400 RPM) in a JBOD configuration and am pretty happy. IMHO, DVD or BR is not a backup and will not be good long term.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Trustee

Cheers Mike
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Check out

How to Backup Your Data and Keep it Safe Forever | Digital Trends

The author sums up with

"using the cloud for at least one of your storage methods is a wise move"

but points out that "50 GB of iCloud storage costs $100 per year"

I trash my hard disks every 3 years. I have 3 x 3 Tb and should double this capacity and set up auto-backup
Karl Walter Keirstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2016, 02:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I do a similar number of weddings as Steve per year and once the couple have received their video, I keep all the original files for 14 days in case of any changes or corrections. After that period, all original files are deleted and I keep a DVD/BR disc for archive. I also make an MP4 of every wedding for HD delivery and store on an external drive. Personally, I don't see disc storage as more risky than Hard drive or cloud storage. Every disc is a separate entity whereas multiple weddings on a drive could be lost through drive failure and with cloud storage you have no control over it, or over future increases in storage charges.

My contract with the client is for the filming, editing and delivery of their wedding video and once that has been accepted, there is no obligation on me to give them unlimited storage, my archive of discs and MP4 is simply a courtesy and not an obligation. The responsibility for safe keeping of their video lies with the client, and they are perfectly entitled to upload it to the cloud and pay for their own storage if they want. Those that worry about long time storage of wedding client footage, should really treat it as a totally separate issue which the client pays for if they require it. I would add that after 32 years of filming weddings, I have never been asked if I still have the original footage and have only once been asked if it was possible to get a new copy, 7 years after the wedding when their original was lost in a fire.

It's quite likely that while you are actively and conscientiously storing original wedding footage, the couple are long since divorced! Even if still together, why would anyone want a re-edit of their wedding years later? 'Hello, you filmed my wedding on cine film 35 years ago and I have fallen out with the best man, can you take him out of the film please!'

Roger

Last edited by Roger Gunkel; August 22nd, 2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions