Ugh, I truly need a PC Software Suggestion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #16
New Boot

Well, for anyone that wants to know. I ran out of options, and had to quit trying. I tried anything and everything. Just was not able to figure it out after 4 days.
Christian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Lee
Well, for anyone that wants to know. I ran out of options, and had to quit trying. I tried anything and everything. Just was not able to figure it out after 4 days.
It seems you're expecting this to work in a way that it actually doesn't.

If you have SP2 - not plain XP Pro with SP1 (especially not home edition!!), then there is no need to load anything extra - as a matter of fact that'll make it worse in most cases - as Windows XP Service Pack 2 came with an "AV/C Tape Device" universal driver.

That's what should be showing in your XP Pro Device Manager... not "Sony HDV" anything...

The Microsoft universal "AV/C Tape Device" driver is found within one of the SP2 *.cab archive files, and as such is a little difficult to isolate.

We have checked everything haven't we? You are connecting the cam via i-Link (firewire IEEE-1394) to your PC? You do have Win XP-Pro with Service Pack 2 installed? You do have the camcorder setting correct in the menu for HDV; no-downconvert output? The blue HDV logo is lit on the camcorder?

It's bound to be something really banal - and when you realise what it is... you'll want to keep it to yourself.

I know you probably think that we're all lying - given your current circumstance - about how easy it was for the rest of us with loading and capturing HDV, but it does work!!
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #18
New Boot

Yes to every single one of your points. HDV light on, correct cable, all settings set exactly as I was told.

Windows Professional with Service Pack 2.

Every time i connect it with the HDV mode, it detects an AV/C Subunit, and then I try to find the drivers for it, but to no avail.

The weirdest part, is at times I can connect and the HDV Light is lit, and in windows media I try to capture, and I can control the play, rewind, feature, but not see any capture, black screen. No capture, and yet it controls the FX1 from windows, odd.

My computer stats in very light screenshot mode: http://www.rishel.ws/fx1/Computer.png
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Yes to every single one of your points. HDV light on, correct cable, all settings set exactly as I was told.

Windows Professional with Service Pack 2.

Every time i connect it with the HDV mode, it detects an AV/C Subunit, and then I try to find the drivers for it, but to no avail.

The weirdest part, is at times I can connect and the HDV Light is lit, and in windows media I try to capture, and I can control the play, rewind, feature, but not see any capture, black screen. No capture, and yet it controls the FX1 from windows, odd.

My computer stats in very light screenshot mode: http://www.rishel.ws/fx1/Computer.png
Once Windows detects an AV/C Subunit, you shouldn't need to find anything further, as Windows itself will then find the correct one from the SP2 supported device update .cab archive.

What you should then see in Device Manager; listed under your Sound, Video and Game Controller devices is the "AV/C Subunit" - if you right click the listing, the properties display should show a "SonyHDV&DV tape device" as the supported unit.

If one's got that showing; then go to ConnectHD's program flyout and open the HD Link utility app... Everything from there should work as per posts elsewhere in the forum - namely preference options, capture modes and conversion options.

It may seem odd that Windows can control certain functions of the camera, but as one part of the install process (the AV/C subunit part) has been carried out, meaning the basic playback capabilites shared by all AV/C subunits will be accessible... the remaining specific SonyHDV&DV tape device part hasn't.

That was why I originally recommended going back to a pre-SP2 OS state, so a SP2 re-install and device detection could be done without interuption... which would, at the very least help pinpoint the true cause if it still failed, and at the best would solve the problem altogether.
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #20
New Boot

Roger that. I follow you. But, the camera shows an AV/C Subunit under unknown devices. And it wants to load a driver.

This is exactly what I see ---> http://www.rishel.ws/fx1/Screenshot.png when I plug in this FX1.
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Roger that. I follow you. But, the camera shows an AV/C Subunit under unknown devices. And it wants to load a driver.

This is exactly what I see ---> http://www.rishel.ws/fx1/Screenshot.png when I plug in this FX1.
Yep...

That's right...

Until the driver is actually loaded from the SP2 .cab archive, the system only knows that the signal detected on a new connection comes from an unknown device.

Once the correct connection is made, the "Unknown Device" yellow question mark icon listing in device manager is replaced by the "AV/C Tape device" listing.

Also be aware that you won't see the listing in device manager with the camera turned off!! When the camera is off - there's no listing at all, and any attempts to then load a replacement device driver in the hope it will appear will just break a correct installation.
Old December 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #22
New Boot

You know, another great solution for the PC is Avid Liquid. I am an Avid Xpress Pro HD editor myself, but with Avid's recent acquisition of Pinnacle, I've been checking out what's under the hood with the new products.

Liquid version 7 had some great new features you might find interesting.

Also, there is the interview Tim Wilson did for Videoguys. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should. I think it sums things up nicely, including Avid's commitment to the product..

http://www.videoguys.com/videoguy_liquid.html

Cre8tive
Joe Womble is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions