Ugh, I truly need a PC Software Suggestion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Ugh, I truly need a PC Software Suggestion

I searched, I demo'd, I sought out! LOL! Gentlemen, I have searched a wide array of threads, forums, and tested an arsenal of software, only to become completely bewildered and lost.

I recently purchased my Sony HDR-FX1, and am connecting to my 3ghz system, 1gi8g memory, 512meg video card, via firewire etc.

I was pretty excited about shooting in HDV, until, I have fallen pray to not knowing which software to use.

If i may...

Not only can I not connect in HDV mode (unless I HDV > DV), and all attempts to load the Sony D-VHS driver have failed, as there is no listing for that hardware under the device manager when I try to locate on for the AV/C Subunit. Problem 1 right there.

Any advice on that would be GREATLY appreciated, and yes, I DID search all over the place, boy did I ever.

Then, which PC based software to use? I could really use a pointed on this. I shoot a lot of video for my church. So I would like an awesome look, maybe some pointers? I tested out the Cine24 and almost got motion sick, LOL!

I understand many of you are veteran members, and these questions from us young guns is more then likely taxing on you as you have heard it repeatedly. But, thanks to those that take the time to answer.

Bottom line? I would like a nice all in one software package to importing the video and edit it, then output to DVD.

First though, I need to be able to download to the PC? Windows XP Pro with SP2 already.

Thanks for any replies.
Christian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I cut this from the CineForm knowledge base for setting up a FX1 (that is causing trouble.)

Settings to Record HDV footage to tape:

HDV cameras can also be used as DV cameras. Consult your manual to be sure you are recording in HDV, rather than DV. The LCD screens will also show what recording mode is being used while recording.

For Sony HDR-FX1 and HVR-Z1

In the LCD menu, there are two settings that must be set

1) The 'VCR HDV/DV' setting must be set to 'HDV'

2) The 'A/V->DV Out' setting must be set to 'Off'

Once you have these settings correct, Windows should recognize the camera. If it doesn't this workaround should help you.

1) Place a tape with HD footage into the camera.

2) Unplug any firewire cable from the camera and turn it OFF.

3) Turn the camera back ON in the 'Play' or 'VCR' mode.

4) Press the 'Play' button.

5) Connect the firewire cable to the camera.

6) Check your Windows XP 'Device Manager. Under 'Sound Video and Game Controllers' you should see a device called 'AV/C Tape Device'. If this device is present, please reread the required camera settings and double check that it is set up correctly. If you have tried this unsuccessfully mutliple times, you may have a hardware malfunction. Try a different firewire port, a different firewire cable, and maybe a different HDV or DVHS device.
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Lee
Bottom line? I would like a nice all in one software package to importing the video and edit it, then output to DVD.

First though, I need to be able to download to the PC? Windows XP Pro with SP2 already.

Thanks for any replies.
The closest "easy to get a handle on", "all in one" package for doing what you hope, is Vegas 6 with DVD Architect 3.

Something amiss with your camera connection... If you have SP2 installed, the camera should be automatically recognised by the system - without needing to go into 'Device Manager' and/or loading any other driver.

Perhaps if you un-install SP2, set your cam up for HDV i-Link connection without DV downconversion... and then re-install SP2 you may find that things come good.

If all works as it should, get a hold of the AspectHD/ConnectHD demo if you haven't already, and use the HD Link utility to capture the m2t files. If all is right, the utility will connect to the cam and you'll see that the camera is operating.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #4
New Boot

AGH!!!!!!!!!

Over 50 attempts, I still can NOT transfer HDV. I set all the settings a million ways (it seems), and nothing. All I get is an Unknown AV/C Subunit when I plug it in.

There is NO Sony DVHS driver under Sony or Sony Corp or Imaging devices when I search for a driver. That does not exist. No where.

My IEEE / 1394 Ports appear to work fine, I can transfer DV, but Windows XP SP2 does not recognize my FX1 in HDV mode.

Everyone says to get the Sony DVHS driver. But where?!? I searched, scanned, the system, nothing, nada.

I have been to so many website, its unreal. I mean, I can find video no problem at all.

Heck, even made problably the funniest video of my four month old "cooing" that you will see caught on film (17 megs) -> http://www.rishel.ws/videos/ get the one titled "Happy Baby". Thats just a DV cut that I dumbed way down.

This is really depressing. I want to use ConnectHD, or CAPDVHS, but nothing? The computer is not faulty, the FireWire ports work fine, but the driver is just not there.

Anyone help with this?
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #5
New Boot

Anyone? How do I get this Sony DVHS driver? Its not listed as an option to select.
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Download the free trial of Cineform Aspect HD. Try using HDLink (comes with it) to capture.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #7
New Boot

Going to test it now Steve, will post outcome.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #8
New Boot

Ummm, I dont use Premiere?
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

If you use Sony Vegas, try Connect HD.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #10
New Boot

Ok, I made 6 very lightweight screenshots of what I see. I can download DV not HDV, Subunit keeps popping up. Loading drivers reveals no DVHS Sony Tape anything. Its not even an option.

If I could find this Sony D-VHS somewhere that might fix it? Connect HD finds nothing. I gotta tell you, this is the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered.

Take a look at the screenshots in this folder:

http://www.rishel.ws/fx1/
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Did you try the proceedure I listed above (2nd post)?
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #12
New Boot

I posted a screenshot of ConnectHD not being able to find a single camera or capture device. All this computer does is allow DV transfer or gives me this AV/Subunit device found when I connect it in HDV mode.

I can not find a driver for this subunit
People say to select Sony D-VHS from Sound, Game etc. Its not there, I do not have this option
I downloaded ConnectHD, cant find camera
I tried CapDVHS, cant find camera

Nothing, find this camera when its in HDV mode, all it finds is a dang AV/Subunit. Just take a look at the above screenshots, and you will see exactly what I see.

I tried the method from the second post, 20 times, nothing.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, none of the software will find the camera if the drivers aren't installed. The reason I suggested the 2nd post work-flow, is that when it works, it requires not advanced PC knowledge, no manually searching for drivers. I wondering if too much knownledge isn't hurting you. You should try a different PC, see how in works under a normal situation and see if you can mimic that.

But as you know device manager, here is the location of the Sony DVHS device.
www.cineform.com/downloads/SonyDrivers.png
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #14
New Boot

There are no drivers there that match that. I searched the Sony drivers, just like your screenshot, there is no D-VHS driver.

If someone, anyone, could upload the d-vhs driver, or tell me where to get it, this would all be over, but no one will tell me how or where to get it. As it stands, I bought a $3500 camera that is worthless.

But make no mistake, I know how and where to look for the driver to make the subunit work, but that driver is not one of the available options to select, in fact, its just not even listed.

Does anyone have it? Can anyone upload it somewhere? Can anyone tell me how to pull it off the windows xp cd?
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #15
New Boot

4 computers, no Sony DVHS driver. Where is this mystery driver? It appearently doesnt come with 3 different styles of OEM Windows XP, it is not on any laptops I know of either.

Even my friends are looking on ALL their various computers and laptops, umm... no such Sony D-VHS driver.

Did that driver come with a piece of software that many of you loaded? Maybe thats its origin and you dont remember?

Can someone merely zip up this Sony DVHS driver so that I can download it from somewhere?

I have tried every suggestion, 20 times, every trick, variation, combination, everything but burnt offerings (which is coming DANGEROUSLY close to happening) to get this to work. Amazing how people finally get it working, but yet, some of us cant?

Odd indeed.
Christian Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions