Laptop Drive Speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Laptop Drive Speed

I am planning on buying a laptop, and I want to make sure that it is going to kick to capture the HDV stuff - maybe the HVX or others.

How important is hard disc speed - 4200 rpm vs. 5400 rpm vs 10000 rpm?
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Major Player

4200rpm will be good enough for capture but will cause problems if you layer video and try to play back in real time.

5400 will probably be OK

7200 is the optimum, I don't think hard drives go any faster in Laptops at this time.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Trustee

I disagree with 4200 being good enough for capture. I get dropouts on my laptop with a 4200 drive and it all appears to be data rate. I would consider 5400 as a minimum unless your editor includes a barebones logger.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #4
Trustee

i have successfully captured dv to a winxp laptop with a 4200 rpm drive, using scenealyzer with no background processes running... i wouldn't want to try it with a generic xp install.

take a look at the $$ they are charging to upgrade to 7200 rpm... what i did was get the 4200 rpm drive and do full installs of all the software i'd be using, then clone the entire drive, and copy the clone onto a new 5400 rpm drive... that way i had a backup to use, or to clone a replacement drive off of.

laptop drives will never match the performance of 3.5" hard drives... so maybe the smartest thing to do is to get a cheap 300 gig drive with a 16 mb cache, put it into a usb 2.0 enclosure, and just use that to store all your footage on... don't thrash the laptop drive that has the o.s. on it.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys. With straight DV I woudn't worry so much, but I am guessing that the HVX is going to be pumping out a much higher data rate. I don't have numbers though.
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #6
Major Player

well, with the HVX, it's not the same issue as either your capturing to tape at DV25 or yourt capturing to P2 and it's a file transfer from the P2 card rather than realtime capture, so disc speed is not such an issue. There might be playback problems with a 4200rpm drive if you want real time effects from your editing program though.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Dylan,

It was my understanding from the below thread that you could capture directly to the hard drive.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=55017

I'm sure the P2 capture would be fine regardless of speed.
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Well I'm not capturing HD but I do capture to a 300GB SATA Seagate drive in a USB/FW400/SATA enclosure and the whole setup cost less than $200. I'm sure it has the speed to capture from an HVX. Bonus is I can plug it into my desktop PC and I'm instantly ready to edit.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions