Could you recomment a board? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Could you recomment a board?

Hello,

First what do you think of the Videoguys recommendation for HDV editing?
They say we need two processor. Why? If HDV is 19mps when DV is 25 why do I need two processors?

What motherboard do you recommend?
Pentium or AMD?
Thanks
Phil
Philippe Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

Pine 2x4's are good boards... :)

Seriously though, I haven't had but one problem with an AMD chip, it was out of warranty but they sent a new one, gratis. I am a die-hard forever now. Two tips though-
1)Stay away from Asus, to say their tech support is useless would be an understatement.
2)Stick with the stock CPU fan. I spent like $70 for a fancy name fan, and it sounded like a jet turbine. The stock fan has been tested as quieter and cooler than a lot of aftermarket fans.

As far as brand boards, I sort of liked Abit. There was a huge issue at first with it locking or randomely rebooting, but after some searching their boards, I was able to tweak the softmenu, and it was rock solid after that.
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'd first determine your NLE and if you're choosing a hardware card like Canopus or Matrox. Matrox is especially particular about the board and pci slot you're using.

Basic HDV would benefit from atleast a hyperthreaded CPU. Cineform seems to like the Opterons, but you can build a stable system with either AMD or Intel.

HDV is an MPEG compression that uses i-frames and GOP. The NLE has to uncompress one or more frames if you want to see a particular frame. DV is 1:1, so it takes less work to view a frame.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If you are thinking of using a Canopus solution there is a list of recommendations here:
http://www.canopus.com/support/hardw...patibility.php

For a ready made system, the HP XW8200 with dual Xeons is said to be very good; better with 2GB RAM.

With Canopus Edius you can work just via firewire or with one of the Canopus boards. These offer a variety of connection options, both in and out including real time HD display. You will find a comprehensive description of them all via the site listed above under the product tab.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Capt. Quirk

Also- whatever editing card you choose, get the breakout box. It makes a great difference when you don't have to reach behind the PC to plug in your firewire.
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #6
New Boot

THanks

Ok. Thanks for all the comment.
I was thinking going with Vegas 6
Philippe Orlando is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions