HDTV for Monitoring using a Kona LHe card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #1
Major Player

HDTV for Monitoring using a Kona LHe card

Does anyone have any suggestions for a HDTV with component inputs that I can use to monitor my DVCPRO HD footage through my Kona LHe card? I know that this isn't the "true" or even the best method to monitor my footage, but I at least need to get something in the video colorspace and something that is at least 720p res so I can monitor my HD footage.

any suggestions? Oh, my budget is around 1k for this HDTV.

I was thinking of this one, but I'd love to get y'all's opinoins on it.

Panny LCD HDTV
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Does it have to be an LCD?

BestBuy has a Samsung 30" FlatTube CRT with all the goodies for $900, and it's only 16" deep.

You could get the Dell 24" 2405FPW... it has component inputs.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Major Player

I think I'd like it to be an LCD just because of my desk space. I don't think I have the room for a CRT one. 30" does sound nice though. Is it a HD set?
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Won't any HDTV with component in work?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Crt

CRT is going to give much more accruate color and light representation. I use a "13-inch JVC at 16 x 9 (4:3 Monitor that can be scaled to Letterbox) for HDV output with a Kona AJA2 card. Works very well. Not a huge picture, but very effective.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Do you get the full res of HD on that 13" crt though? I was kinda hoping to be able to see all of my pixels.
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Crt Res

It is very good; basically what you will see in the final product. I am a firm believer that a CRT gives you truly accurate color and light values and LCD and computer screens don't. Short poll: anybody have evidence to the contrary?
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

In the past, most everyone agreed that CRTs give better color representation that LCDs. I'm curious if that's still true with todays technology... and how much of a difference there really is?

Studio Monitors with Blue-Mode Only are still the preferred choice.
Jason Hamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Well, I talked with some people at JVC, at AJA, and at Midwest Media Group. They all said the same thing. CRT is by far the most accurate monitor to use. MMG said that they have quite a few clients using LCDs and even consumer HDTVs. I was convinced to get a CRT. I'm getting probably next week the JVC DT-V1710GCU Monitor. It's actually less than I expected, plus it handles all flavors of HD. Not too shabby. It only does 24p 1080 though, not 24p 720, but that's not too big of a deal.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #10
New Boot

yup, CRT's are still gold standard and that's exactly why I got the Samsung 2675WH 26" CRT HDTV. Right now it's just my tube but in the coming years it will become my workstation's HD monitor and I'll get a bigger LCD TV for my tube. 26" is the smallest available size for CRT HDTV's.
Johnathan Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #11
Major Player

The guy at AJA said something very interesting. He said that you want your video out monitor to make the footage look as bad as possible. At first, I thought "What?", but then it made sense that in order to make it look at good as possible then you need to see the raw footage.
Adam Rench is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions