Splitting an M2T file - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #16
Trustee

Wow - I barely remember writing some of those posts from...2004!

I havent tried PS3 playback at all but three suggestions:

1) Will the PS3 play an HD program stream (usually they are .mpg whereas .m2t signifies transport stream)? If so, its fast to remux from one to the other (see below).

2) Since 2004 a very handy utility called mpegstreamclip has been developed. My guess is it will either split your original files, or else fix the faulty files you've split already. Or both. It can also do remuxing to and from ts and ps http://www.squared5.com/

3) This might be worth a try too: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG2Repair
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Just a note about Vegas 8. It apparently will allow you to split now, and it won't reencode otherwise untouched material. Seems to me you could take your 10 gig file and split it on the time line at a opportune point, and then go to render and it should copy the split. It actually has a message come up that says something like its not reencoding.
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for these 2 very helpful replies. I'll try mpegstreamclip which I'd actually already downloaded but didn't think to check. I have Vegas 6d but haven't upgraded to vegas 8 as I don't really need the extra faciliities. Worth remembering though if needed.

Thanks again and I'll report back.
David
David Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #19
Regular Crew

How about TSSplitter v1.0 ?

It works for, I split into 4GB chunks and put them on a USB drive (FAT32) and play from my PS3. Never tried to put them back to tape though the blurb does say "The advantage compared to other similar tools is that you can later join the files and get a file that's 100% like the original source file".
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Mpeg Streamclip works! I was a bit thrown by the fact that I had to save the files as .ts files but once saved, I just re-name them as .m2t files and copy them to DVD-R (DL) and they play perfectly in the PS3.

The only thing I've noticed is that the extracted clips are a bit lighter (increased brightness) when compared side by side to the original. I don't know why this should be and if viewed in isolation its not really an issue.

Still, a real result. Thanks guys.

Thanks Claire for your help too. I might give that program a go too. The only thing is I want to create files bigger than 4Gb that I can copy to dual layer disks. Does it do that?

Thanks
David Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tyler View Post
Thanks Claire for your help too. I might give that program a go too. The only thing is I want to create files bigger than 4Gb that I can copy to dual layer disks. Does it do that?
Thanks
I believe so David, it's a while since I used it because now I have bought a Pioneer BDR202 burner and so no longer need to cling to m2t's to put on USB drives for PS3 but I recall it would even let me preview the beginning and end of the the pieces it was going to make to avoid cutting between mid sentence.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rich View Post
Anyone know of any tools that I can take a very large M2T file (10GB+) and split it into chunks so that I could burn them seperatly onto a DVD-R? I've been trying to archive my M2T's since my HD is filling up, but most are too large to fit onto a single disc.

Let me say I'm not wanting a scene detection utility or anything like that, I just want something to split it so the files could then be placed back to back on the timeline and fit together just like they had been as one large file (i.e. no skips, drop outs, etc.).

Thanks,
mike
There's an excellent freeware file splitter called, "HJ Split", which I used as recently as yesterday as it happens (splitting a 12GB .m2t file into DVD-friendly chunks), which I recommend you try.

Unlike prog's which split a large M2T into smaller M2T files (invariably interfering with the integrity of the mpeg stream to one degree or other), "HJ Split" merely splits a file into smaller chunks of data, the size of which can be set by the user; all resultant parts will be of equal size with the exception of the final part which will be whatever the remainder of the file is (e.g a 12.6GB file split into 4GB chunks will result in 3 x 4GB files + 1 x .6GB file). The files can then be burned to disc.

If you ever need to reconstitute the file, copy the split files from disc to your hard drive and rejoin them as the original single file using HJ Split.

From experience, cutting a single M2T file into smaller M2T files can be problematic. Even though virtually all MPEG editors/splitters claim that they do not alter the stream in any way, they actually do and this can cause headaches later down the track (Avid Xpress users take special note). HJ Split will circumvent any such problem.

One word of advice, do a test: split the file using HJ split, burn the files to your DVD's or CD's, copy the files back to your hard drive, rejoin with HJ Split, play the joined file.

cheers.
Lester Marston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #23
New Boot

"Split4DVD_ß.exe" is best. It splits every large file into portions of 4.4 GB (that you can adjust), and then you can burn it on dvd. You have to rename it from mpeg to mpg first. It is freeware.

cheers
Eric
Erich Reisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Splitting m2t File

Ok, several years later and still a helpful solution.
Thanks David! I'm posting this to the Avid community.
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tyler View Post
Mpeg Streamclip works! I was a bit thrown by the fact that I had to save the files as .ts files but once saved, I just re-name them as .m2t files ...
Ervz Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #25
Equal Opportunity Offender

These days you might as well archive to an external drive for roughly the same storage cost as burning to DVDs. Saves having to mess around with splitting files down.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi,

Mpg2cut2 (Mpeg2cut2) splits MT2 files on GOP. I use it for taking dross out of my HV30 files prior to archiving the result. I edit the cut files in PP4 with no problem. It only cuts on GOP and I only use the simplest of commands (set start - set end - write out the trimmed file) so I can't vouch for the ability to join two trimmed parts and things like that. But it really has helped me with a quick way of extracting the data I want without the necessity to re-render due to the file being split between GOPs.

Not sure this will fit your bill, but it may be worth a look for you. Best of all, it's freeware!

Cheers, Ian
Ian Firth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions