Converting HDV to HD for post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting HDV to HD for post

Hi,

I will be shooting on a Z1 this weekend and this will be the first time on HD. I am planning on doing some color correction and some post FX in AE. Normally my workflow for SD is :

i) capture footage as DV in PPRO
ii) de-artifecat and if need be deinterlace with magic bullet rendering the output as uncompressed.
iii) apply color correction and do any post FX in AE on the uncompressed and output uncompressed
iv) Take the uncompressed footage and do the edit in PPRo.

This workflow works great for me on SD and I am thinking of using a similar workflow for HD as I want to do some post FX etc in AE, but questions are :

i) What is the best method for converting HDV to HD uncompressed? Capture in PPRO 2.0 as HDV, and render the timeline out as uncompressed?

ii) Disk space aside - how much extra grunt is required to work with uncompressed HD? I have a dual core Pentium 3.6Ghz, 2Gb RAM, RAID 0 600GB, 7800GT Card. Is what I am trying to do suicide and be painfully slow?

iii) If I bought a DeckLink HD card would that speed up the timeline previews?

iv) Are there any other suggestions that might help me out?

Thanks

Robert
Robert Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You might consider using the Cineform codec to edit.

It's not just disk space that is an issue. At the high bitrates of uncompressed HD video, disk speed becomes a factor (aside from the data processing to apply the effects, it takes time simply for the disk reads and writes). You might want to consider 10,000rpm drives to work with uncompressed HD.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions