DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   question about editing video for first time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/61502-question-about-editing-video-first-time.html)

Dean Orewiler February 25th, 2006 02:03 PM

question about editing video for first time

I'm about ready to purchase Vegas 6 for editing. I'm hoping this will fullfil my professional needs - i'm hoping it compares to FCP - because I have a windows based system, so I need something else. About dv cable from the Canon XL1S - can I buy one of these from anywhere?? Canon is wanting $50 for the cable 4pin to 4pin (firewire) I guess....Any help would be appreciated. Also, is digital capture built into this editing software - can I do pretty decent sound on it ??? I basically want a music layer, sound effects, (audio from dv tape) and maybe a 4th track for something else....I'm new to this and learning as I go....I just want to make sure I have my bases covered before I drop the money.
Thanks
Dean

Chris Barcellos February 25th, 2006 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
I'm about ready to purchase Vegas 6 for editing. I'm hoping this will fullfil my professional needs - i'm hoping it compares to FCP - because I have a windows based system, so I need something else. About dv cable from the Canon XL1S - can I buy one of these from anywhere?? Canon is wanting $50 for the cable 4pin to 4pin (firewire) I guess....Any help would be appreciated. Also, is digital capture built into this editing software - can I do pretty decent sound on it ??? I basically want a music layer, sound effects, (audio from dv tape) and maybe a 4th track for something else....I'm new to this and learning as I go....I just want to make sure I have my bases covered before I drop the money.
Thanks
Dean

Yes, decent firewire cables are readily available at places like Best Buy, tec, and on line. Check out BH Photo, a sponser of this sie.

DV capture is a part of mmost any editing program, including Vegas. There are also free programs that offer the capability- I think Avid Free has that. Google it.

Vegas does handle multi tracking in video and sound- many consider that. its forte.. I assume you refer to the full version. The Vegas in Movie Studio has limited tracks, if I recall. But there are work around there. In fact Vegas Movie Studio +DVD goes for around $100, and provides striied down versions of Acid (separate sound editor) and DVD Architect, a great DVD authoring tool. You might consider this version first to see if you want tocommit to the higher end versions.

Robert M Wright February 25th, 2006 05:25 PM

You might want to look and see if your firewire card (in the PC) has a 6pin input jack. Most do. If it does, you want a 4pin to 6pin cable.