Editing software (PC) for DVCproHD ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing software (PC) for DVCproHD ?

I know i should (?) use Apple video editing platform with my Panasonic HVX-200, but i would like to use PC if possible...

Is the new Adobe Premiere pro 2.0 support DVCpro HD ? i can't find the thread about that in the Hvx200 section...

As a newbie, i really want USER-FRIENDLY software. I don't have much time to learn and i lose patience fast when it's not efficient.

Any recommendation ?
Jon Miova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Miova
Is the new Adobe Premiere pro 2.0 support DVCpro HD ?
Not natively yet, unfortunately. You either have to use expensive third-party hardware like the Matrox Axio, or DVFilm's Raylight software to convert the P2 MXF files to AVI.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Thurston
Not natively yet, unfortunately. You either have to use expensive third-party hardware like the Matrox Axio, or DVFilm's Raylight software to convert the P2 MXF files to AVI.
Thank you Earl for the info..

Well, is that mean that Apple is THE only real solution for the Panasonic Hvx200 for now ?

Let's say i'm all beginning this from scratch.. Will it be a good idea anyway to go (and learn) with apple/Final cut pro platform instead of going with PC/"whatever that will comes out sometime" ?

*Apple angel saying "Come with us, we're better!" *
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Edius Broadcast will edit P2 and preserves .mxf file data. If you decide to explore this route it would be advisable to check out minimum specs. The HP XW8200 with dual Xeon processors is said to to the job well.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Andrews
Edius Broadcast will edit P2 and preserves .mxf file data. If you decide to explore this route it would be advisable to check out minimum specs. The HP XW8200 with dual Xeon processors is said to to the job well.
How is Edius Broadcast compared to other software (fcp, app, etc..)

At 900$ the price seems reasonable.
Old March 6th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You will find a lot of information here:
http://www.canopus.com/home.php

If you are familiar with Premiere, this site will be useful for making comparisons:
http://www.panoramaproductions.net/edius.html
This site is by someone who has made the transition and offers his experiences.

I do not know enough about other apps to offer a reliable comparison for you. But based on comments made by others Edius, in its current 3.61 version, offers fewer features than other nles - it has been around for a much shorter time. Some do not like the interface - it is different. On the other hand, on the right hardware, it will probably offer more RT performance than most. It also appears to offer better access to the new HDV/HD formats than some other nles. If speed and time saving matter more than compositing then it is worth a look.

The Canopus site listed above includes comprehensive product information, on line tutorials on getting started and a route to the Canopus forums which are very helpful.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Inner Circle

For PC-based editing of P2 footage, Edius Broadcast sounds like the way to go for now, but you might also take a look at the latest Avid HD solutions. Avid Liquid can reportedly handle DVCPro50 footage fine but not DVCProHD yet. Edius is a little limited in terms of some advanced features but is being successfully used by many people for professional purposes, and is being adopted by some TV stations for its real-time capabilities.

By some accounts Edius Broadcast currently has *the* best support for HD MXF files, e.g. compared to FCP which has to convert them to a Quicktime wrapper before editing.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

And regarding the easy-to-learn side (i never touched any video editing software, only photo) should i go with Apple/FCP combo or PC/canopus ?
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Any advanced video editing application is likely to take some time to learn. Final Cut Pro is probably more standardized than Edius and will have more training options available; Edius has proved easy to learn for some people and hard for others, with limited training solutions.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I switched from Premiere 6.5 to Edius at v1. I found Premiere awkward to use (and unreliable) and Edius easier to use and very reliable) - but that is a personal thing. My own experience with Edius is that you can start just doing simple things very easily and work into more complicated things at your own pace. That said there will be a learning hump to get over initially whichever software you go for.
David Andrews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions