DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Is my PC up to editing HDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/63523-my-pc-up-editing-hdv.html)

Ben Furfie March 23rd, 2006 05:15 AM

Is my PC up to editing HDV?

Other than the video card which I know would need adding on (I currently have an X800 256mb card); as well as me purchasing new hard disks to store all the extra info...

Is an AMD 64 3500+ with 1GB Dual Channel RAM enough to edit HDV footage or am I looking at needing to upgrade... if it will edit it just, thats ok for the moment at least till money starts coming in and then I can upgrade.

Cheers in advance

Darrin McMillan March 23rd, 2006 06:54 AM

Ok

Hey Ben,
You should be ok with that setup. However I really suggest a couple of things;
1. up your ram before worrying about your video card. 2 Gigs is a good place to start.

2. Purchase Cineform's HD Connect. It will make editing a whole lot more enjoyable. Much better performace, and quality.

Well good luck and have fun.

Robert M Wright March 23rd, 2006 10:16 AM

The video card should be fine. As Darrin mentioned, upping RAM to 2 gigs would be a very good idea. A dual core processor would probably be the next upgrade that would help the most (by far).

Ben Furfie March 23rd, 2006 03:21 PM

Cheers guys, I believe my brother new PC is a Dual Core Intel Celeron 850... I might have a look at that...

I've heard good things about Cineform but I've been trained pretty much on Premier Pro 2.0. Once we have a little money that we can put to the side I might have a look at it...

Rati Oneli March 24th, 2006 08:01 PM

Help with similar question

Hi, I am wondering if you guys can help me out with similar issue. I'd like to edit HDV footage from JVC HD100.

I have an option of buy a

1. Sony VAIO VGC-RB53 Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0GHz (Hyper Threading)

or

2. DELL E510 Dual Core Pentium D processor 2.8mhz

As for the rest of the hardware I pretty much know that I have to have 2GB ram, 7200 rpm hard drives, at least 256 mb video card.

anything else??? thank you very much in advance

Heath McKnight March 25th, 2006 01:42 PM

Darren is right--try a Proxy editor with Connect HD or try Vegas and combine it with VASST's Gearshift. www.vasst.com

hwm

Chris Barcellos March 25th, 2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Furfie
Cheers guys, I believe my brother new PC is a Dual Core Intel Celeron 850... I might have a look at that...

I've heard good things about Cineform but I've been trained pretty much on Premier Pro 2.0. Once we have a little money that we can put to the side I might have a look at it...

I run a dual core self built AMD 3800+ box with an X700 256 ATI PCI Express Card, 2 gigs of memory. It actually edits native HDV pretty well, but most of the pro will go to Aspect from Cineform for easier and cleaner editing, and better color handling. About $500, as I understand, and runs inside PPro 2.0, and provides real time previews in most of its transitions and effects. It does take up about 5 times the disk space for the same footage. I am sure it is a good investment... I'm just looking for the right time...

Brandon Biodrowski May 26th, 2006 10:36 PM

what do you capture your HDV with?

Chris Barcellos May 26th, 2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Biodrowski
what do you capture your HDV with?

HDVSplit is a freeware program. Get the .75 version. It captures Native. I can also capture native with the Premiere Pro 2.0, which I edit with, but it does not scene detect like HDVSplit.

George Ellis May 30th, 2006 10:08 AM

If you were running Avid Liquid 7.x, then the answer would be yes.