DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   What type/size monitor should I buy to edit Sony FX1 1080i hdv footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/64816-what-type-size-monitor-should-i-buy-edit-sony-fx1-1080i-hdv-footage.html)

Jim Gunn April 10th, 2006 10:14 PM

What type/size monitor should I buy to edit Sony FX1 1080i hdv footage?

As mentioned in another thread I just purchased a dual core Pentium D 930 pc for editing HDV using Premiere Pro and Cinefom's Aspect Pro.

So basically I am interested in acquiring one the plethora of used Dell monitors of all sizes I can find on ebay for a inexpensive price. What's my best bet to edit Sony FX1 acquired 1080i footage? Am I best off with an LCD or CRT? Should I get a big wide screen like a 21" or 24" monitor? Any specific requirements I should watch out for, for the connections or the resolution it can handle?

Dylan Pank April 11th, 2006 07:48 AM

Jim,

LCDs are better for pixel to pixel monitoring as they offer a (potentially) sharper picture - Mike Curtis of at www.HDforIndies.com has discussed monitors many trimes, especially the Dell or Apple HD compatible screens.

CRTs are bigger, heavier, take up more desk space but (and this applies to studio monitors only, not PC screens or domestic HD TVs) are much more reliable in terms of contrast and colour correction, or I should say can be configured to be more accurate.

Should you get a CRT, you'll need to get an component ouput that's HDV compatible (the AJA and the Decklink HD pro). For a PC LCD you'll just need a DVI connection. Are you going to be doing a lot of Colour correction?

Jim Gunn April 11th, 2006 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=Dylan Pank]Jim,

QUOTE]

This monitor will essentially be a pc screen that I use to edit my hdv foootage with my new computer. I don't do a lot of color correcting per se, although if I need to, I suppose I can add a tv screen later, right? I have been looking at the Dell 24" 2405fpw LCD wide screen which can display up to 1920 x 1200, which shoud coover full size hdv. A lot of people recommend this monitor, and I think I cann get one on ebay for about $600 or so.

George Ellis April 14th, 2006 05:26 PM

Gamers love the Dells and they are similar to the Apple monitor (same glass from what I remember.) The color is pretty good and the have a low response time. The 2405 is going to show up as folks with more free cash than the rest of us (video AND kids) are going to get the 2407 and the new 30"

Giroud Francois April 14th, 2006 05:44 PM

whatever can be said, the dell is bad video monitor, but for the price, you cannot find a better monitor of this size for PC.
it is too slow for video, too bright, colors are bad as every LCD monitor.
But it is the only one to offer component input , analog VGA, DVI, picture in picture, tiltable support etc....
anyway to edit video, whatever size it is, you do not need such a big screen.
usually editing is made on reduced window by most people and nobody complains about this. I am not sure that for any format, there is an absolute need to see every pixel to make a good work.
I know it a nice to have (i personally got a dual Dell 24" on my editing PC and one my office PC) but you can probably buy 19" LCD screen for a quarter of the price and get more usefull stuff to improve your movies.

Boyd Ostroff April 14th, 2006 05:48 PM

See also this related thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=65016

Jim Gunn April 14th, 2006 07:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a lot of expensive equipment to purchase at once to get ready to start my first hdv project. Aspect HD alone cost me $500 and I had to shell out for a new computer, some speakers, some more RAM and a sound card. So for the time being I will make do with a brand new in the box Dell 17" monitor that I picked up locally from the classifieds for $30 to go wih my new dual core Pentium D 9300 model that I snagged at the Dell Outlet. Despite it's limitations, I still like that 2405fpw for watching the hdv video directly connected to the camera and as a big pc monitor, so I will wait a little and see about pickng one up later on ebay or a refurb at Dell.

Bruce S. Yarock April 15th, 2006 05:57 PM

Jim,
I noticed you're in Ft lauderdale...I'm in Pembroke Pines, and also trying to gear up for hdv.Shoot me an email or give me a call and we can talk.
Bruce yarock
www.yarock.com
yarock@aol
954-431-0940

Betsy Moore June 1st, 2006 01:29 AM

Many monitor questions

My only TV just went out and I need to get a new one, my only source of entertainment, also I need to get a hi-def monitor for my dual core fcp hdv editing (working from a 15 inch monitor at the moment)--but I can only afford to buy one thing, can't afford both a tv and a computer monitor. Would ya'll recommend a 1080i rear projection tv for both home viewing and viewing hdv footage in high def? Can you run an apple into an hdtv?

David Kennett June 2nd, 2006 09:13 AM

Betsy,

The problem is - the only 1080i TV is CRT. And those RP monsters are disappearing from the stores pretty fast. A 1080p DLP or LCD should work fine. I have a 50" Samsung 720p DLP, and my 720p HDV looks its best there using DVI output from home theater PC.

I just don't know why Sony is using 1080i ONLY. Sony cameras have always made top-notch pictures, but why create a signal which MUST be converted to be shown?