DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Starting from Scratch with XLH1... advice sought (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/65425-starting-scratch-xlh1-advice-sought.html)

Ken Diewert April 18th, 2006 10:22 PM

Starting from Scratch with XLH1... advice sought

I have a similar post on the XLH1 site...

I'm looking for the the best NLE fit for the H1. Mostly out to DVD or Local TV (Nature Docs etc). Would like to play with dramatic shorts as well.

Have always used PC but as this would be dedicated to editing will jump to Mac if the fit is better. I have about 6k, but could scrape up more if needed.

Considering: PPro, Avid, FCP, Vegas together with Cineform or Canopus.

I'm kind of leaning to Adobe production Studio with Cineform so then would go Dual Xeon, 3.?gb with 2 gb ram.

I haven't picked up the H1 yet, but will in a couple of weeks (waiting for NAB just in case).

I appreciate any advice.

Ken.

Scott Vystrcil April 19th, 2006 06:25 AM

Ken,

I have a Z1 HDV. I just bought (last night) and Dell XPS 400. I did not have as much to spend as you, but I got a Intel dual core 3.2. I use Edius 3 Pro and have loved the software. If you go with an Intel, I would recomend Canopus.

With 6K you should be able to get a wonderful system in either PC or MAC. If it is just for editing, I would say a venture to the Mac side might be in order. I have played with FCP and I was very impressed. With the money you have you can go with the quad core and have a machine that will last you quite some time.

If you want to stay on the PC side, I would recommend something I could not afford this time around. Check out BoxxTech. They have some nice dual core, dual proc AMDs that would make great editing machines. Hope this helps.

Ken Diewert April 19th, 2006 09:35 AM

Thanks Scott,

I looked at Boxx, but their link to the pre-configured systems I was looking at were really expensive. Nothing I saw under 10k for HDV systems. I have bought several systems from Dell and always been satisfied, but never needed anything as powerful as this. I know they just bought Alienware (gaming systems). It's not my plan to render a lot of effects and animations, mostly just dissolves and such, but you never know when you might need something and it's better to have too much proc power than not enough.

Ken

Scott Vystrcil April 19th, 2006 11:14 AM

Not alowed to link to non sponsoring sites, or I would point you to the Boxx location where you can configure your own. I just configured an AMD dual core, dual proc with 800gb of space for less than 5k. Here are the details...

5400 Series

Dual Opteron Model 265 (Dual Core)
2GB DDR400 ECC (4 DIMMS)
ATI FireGL V7100 256MB
80GB 7,200rpm Serial ATA 8MB Cache Drive
800GB SATA RAID 0 Array (2x 400GB 7,200rpm)
21" Samsung SyncMaster 214T (Analog/Digital)
16x Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer (with Nero software)
Windows XP Professional Edition SP2
Black 104 Key Keyboard
Logitech MX310 Corded Optical Mouse
BOXX 3 year limited warranty
System Total: $4,910.00

That setup has everything you need to get a good jump at editing HDV. The video card has more than enough power, as do the processors and the 2gb of ram.

Dell would be fine as well. That is what I just bought and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. :)

Ken Diewert April 19th, 2006 11:57 AM

Scott,

Thanks, I'll go back to Boxx and check it out. I had followed a link from their site to ProMax(?) pre-conf systems. The system you describe looks pretty reasonable for the price... well relatively. I may just use that as a template and have one built locally as I'm in Canada, which may as well be the Ukraine sometimes when it comes to Shipping and Duties etc. from the US. That's not the US fault it's Canada's.

Ken