Editing HD thro EDL (Edit Decision Lists) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing HD thro EDL (Edit Decision Lists)

I am new to editing, and found that my computer chokes while editing HD - no surprise (P4 3.2Hz HT/1G Ram - PPro2 and trial Liq7.1)

I was reading Walter Munch's book where he talks about EDLs (It contains an ordered list of reel and timecode data representing where each video clip can be obtained in order to conform the final cut. - via Wiki)

So my question is:
Can I set my HD100 to downconvert HD>SD - then edit in SD - export EDL to auto edit HD.

I maybe totally off mark or maybe people are editing HD in SD and doing some sort of reverse transfer...

any input?

Last edited by Ram Ganesh; May 17th, 2006 at 11:38 PM.
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Tourist

almost the same question

Hello,

I think Ihave almost the same question, but more general...
We've recently bought a JVC GY-HD101 and now we want to try capturing & editing HD. But our bottleneck is the editing stuff...

Our pc is a quit good machine (P4 HT + 1,5 gig ram + SATA HDD)... When capturing HD in PremPro 2 the capturing process works fine, but the edit part is a problem.

Now our question; is there a way to edit in some kind of "preview modus" so the editing works just like it was DV and then finally export everyting in HD.

Or is the only solution buying a new PC?
Thijs Lowagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

the general consensus around these parts is Cineform aspectHD is the answer to all PPro editing problems...

but I wanted to know if there is a solution without spending $500 on more software...

I tried DVMaker/Raylight - it bloated my 2minute clip into 7GB!.. and took 20mins+ to convert....

I noticed Liquid7 has "IMPORT> EDL"
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Trustee

I edited HDV fairly successfully on a low-spec machine using Premiere Pro's "proxy files" capability. That is, I converted each of my HDV clips to DV, edited using those, and then linked back to the original HDV clips just prior to doing my final render.

That workflow may be suitable for what you're aiming to achieve.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions