Problems with HDV audio in iMovie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Problems with HDV audio in iMovie

I recently purchased a Z1U and for some reason I cannot get the sound to iMovie thru a firewire when not down-converting (hdv-hdv). I can hear the speaker on the camera but nothing from the computer. If I down-convert (hdv-dv) I get good sound from the computer. I think I have tried every setting but there has to be something I am missing, Thanks in advance for your help. Wally
Wally Fredell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Major Player

iMovie does not support HDV. I'm surprised you got anything at all in the computer.

If you want to edit HDV content on a MAC, get either HD Express, or Final Cut Pro 5 and up.

HDV is a new tehnology and therefore regular DV NLE's cannot edit native HDV.

You also need a strong computer, and if you want real time playback (because native HDV is jumpy when played back on a computer) you will need to get a program like Aspect which transfers the HDV .m2t files into .avi files (which then fills your entire computer with gigs and gigs and gigs of video as it uncompresses the video.)

hth
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

iMovie does support HDV, iMovie 5 supported HDV when FCP5 did too.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Major Player

iMovie has supported HDV for a while, it might not be real HDV but instead it converts content to AIC on capture.

I guess bottom line is Apple has been supporting HD for quite a while from the Simple apps to the FCP app.
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5
New Boot

Getting Audio to iMovie

I know that iMovie supports HDV and I am not having a problem with the video - I cannot get the audio thru for some reason. The down conversion is even a little quirky but I can get it to work. I thought that maybe a Mac person might have some experience with the Z1U in iMovie.

Thanks for your responses -- Wally
Old June 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Wally. In order to get a better response to your question you should use a descriptive subject line instead of your name. I am changing the title of this thread to help along these lines.

However, I don't think we have a lot of members here using iMovie. If you don't see some responses I'd suggest that you visit Apple's iMovie support forums here: http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=141

Hope you find a resolution to your problem soon.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Hang on a minute, you mean during capture or while editing?

During capture you won't!!!!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks Boyd
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi Tomas,
I have always heard the audio during capture. Is there something different when capturing HDV? It certainly would not make me very comfortable not hearing the audio during capture. I did not capture and then edit to see if the audio was there.
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Audio is there. Check-
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Audio is there. Check-
Pretty sure!
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #12
New Boot

Thank you for your responses. You were all correct about the audio being there when I edit. I did a short test last night. Thanks again for responding to such a newbie as me - and using iMovie to edit shows my expertise. I plan on purchasing FCE but am concerned about the learning curve for as little editing as I do.

Thanks Again - Wally
Wally Fredell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions