24p + 30p in one project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
I was implying that one would be shooting a documentary with the HD100 or any HD camera where your choices are 30p or 24p.
Sorry Chad, the implication wasn't immediately obvious to me. Sometimes that happens with written text. I thought you were making a general statement about other documentaries shot by whoever with whatever.

Remember that we are trying to help you here.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

One more note...Know what your delivery is, and also, don't be shooting multiple frame rates, because it doesn't make sense. If you're gathering footage that's film, 24p, 30p, fine, then transfer it to what you need. You don't need to make it tougher by you doing different types of shooting.

heath
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #18
Major Player

Tim,
That does sound like a viable option especially for HD100 users. I hadn’t thought of that for some reason. –That the footage would already be in 60p and I could use MPEGStreamclip to just transfer it to AIC as is. One question: When taking the elements that are 24p back down to SD DVD 60i, would a 3:2 pulldown be implemented automatically or not at all? Normally there’s interlacing involved. I’ll have to test out this idea, but it seem like a fair solution.

I think Thomas is on to something as well. I did try putting an interlaced pulldown on the 720p24 footage, but it showed the toothcomb effect because it’s a progressive format and doesn’t care if you’ve got interlaced footage. But when scaled down to SD 60i, the interlacing should work nicely (in theory). The only issue is that to make an HD master, you’d need to scale up to 1080i to make your interlaced HD version work correctly. But at least all the transcoding is done at the end of the project. This too sounds like a very good option to me especially as it would save on hard drive space, and I will be able to capture everything I need in FCP (when they add support for 24p).

Heath does have a legitimate point. –That shooting one style at a time is easiest (and maybe even best). But I posed this question partly because I was thinking about shooting different frame rates and partly just to know if they could be mixed at all. I’m a creative person, but also fairly technically minded so these kinds of things excite me. Different frame rates produce different looks. Especially the leap between 24p and 60p. One is story-like, the other real and objective. In the world of Wedding videos it’s sometimes nice to see a more abstract representation of the events and sometimes it’s better to “feel like you were there.” And sometimes switching it up in the same video makes it more interesting. But it’s all quite subjective. This is just my opinion… Maybe I’m really just a masochist. ;-)

When I get a chance I’m going to test out the two above approaches. But I'm going on vacation until next week. If anyone has the desire to try it out before then, feel free to report it here.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
Tim,...When taking the elements that are 24p back down to SD DVD 60i, would a 3:2 pulldown be implemented automatically or not at all? Normally there’s interlacing involved.
This shouldn't be a problem, since the math of the pulldown is already in place. 60P is just being downconverted to 60i NTSC, so there should be no problems.

Come to think of it, before I bought Lumiere HD I did convert my 720P24 m2t files to 720P60 AIC, edit in 720P60 and downconvert with compressor to NTSC Mpeg2. It all worked fine and the DVD looked great.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions