DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   What's a cheap HDV NLE package? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/73195-whats-cheap-hdv-nle-package.html)

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2006 01:38 AM

What's a cheap HDV NLE package?

It's all in in the title. :-(

Dave Perry August 8th, 2006 05:37 AM

iMovie is $2499, but of course it comes with a free brand new MacPro :)

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2006 05:09 PM

Yeah, yeah.... I see I made the wrong choice in computers.

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2006 05:18 PM

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum has HDV native capture. About $75 to $100. Its has a limited version of Vegas, which will meet most needs you will initially have.

If you have Premiere already, you can update to Pro 1.51 which captures in Cineform format, and edits in that same format. About $200 for the update. Or you can update to PPro 2.0 and capture and edit in native. Also about $200.00. You need a good system to handle heavy load of native editing. I am not sure if Premiere Elements stripped down verision does hdv.

Pinnacle Studio 10 plus captures and edits in native HDV. It uses same engine as Liquid Edition. About $75 to $89. Warning, while I have not had issues, some are reporting problems with 10 plus.

Oh, by the way, you didn't get wrong system.

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2006 06:56 PM

Thanks. :-)

I already bought the wrong system.

Tommy Haupfear August 8th, 2006 07:37 PM

Hey Frank,

I primarily use Premiere to edit HDV but I also have Pinnacle Studio 10.5 which set me back about $150 and came with a nifty litle analog video breakout box (s-video/composite I/0).

I have heard of problems as Chris Barcellos mentioned in his post about problems with 10 but I guess they had them worked out with 10.5 as I haven't had a single problem.

If I remember correctly Studio 10.5 recommends 2GHz CPU and 1GB of ram.

You can download a trial for free and Studio 10.5 itself is about $70 USD.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...I+version+10_5

Frank Granovski August 9th, 2006 04:20 AM

Pinnacle Studio 10.5, eh? I hope it's professional besides cheap. Thank's, Tommy!

I'm trying to find reviews. If I would have bought a MAC, I would not have this problem of digging for info.

Hans Ledel August 9th, 2006 06:34 AM

Hi

Take a look at Ulead and there new Videostudio 10 plus.

It uses a proxy to edit HDV and it is cheap

Take a look at there site
Ulead.com

Cheers

Hans

Denis Danatzko August 9th, 2006 07:04 AM

For a better idea of what others are experiencing

with Pinnacle Studio, check out www.pinnaclesys.com. Click "Support", then "Forums". You'll find lots of questions and answers there offered from experts to novices. It's often difficult to get answers directly from their tech people, but you'll find some peppered among the forums.

I started w/Studio 9, eventually upgraded to Plus 9, and recerntly bought Premiere Production Suite. Quite a steep learning curve moving from Stuio to Premiere, while I found Studio very easy to learn.

Martin Mayer August 9th, 2006 07:04 AM

Buy a cheap unregistered copy of obsolete FCP 4, and crossgrade it to FCS for $199.

(OKOK, you need a Mac. Again. )

Frank Granovski August 9th, 2006 10:21 PM

Yeah, I need a MAC again. :-(

If only I were smart....

Chris M. Watson August 9th, 2006 11:00 PM

Define "cheap" and the computer system you have right now.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography

Chris Barcellos August 9th, 2006 11:16 PM

Frank:

I don\'t think Pinnacle Studio can be termed professional. You can get some professional results using the various components, but it does lack a lot of features the pro suites have. I consider it a good basic entry tool for DV, DVD production, and HDV production that has inherent limitations.

Lawrence Spurgeon August 12th, 2006 03:34 AM

I have Pinnacle 10.5 and Ulead 10

I generally like Videostudio 10 better. Also would run better on less great hardware.

Duane Prince August 12th, 2006 10:55 AM

..someone also mentioned Vegas\'s Movie Studio Platinum, which is what I would recommend, & it also does primary color correction.. It also includes DVD Architect, to burn DVD\'s....

..it comes with animated tutorials, a nice chromakeyer, a basic title\'er, & you don\'t need a powerful computer, but it helps...