HDV encoder for BR-HD50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV encoder for BR-HD50

I'm wondering what the deal is with recording HDV...

I have a BR-HD50 and need to get a clean feed from a HD truck that is sure to NOT have a spare HDV (if any HDV) output. However I would think that they might have an extra HD-SDI or HD Component out. Unfortunately the BR-HD50 only has SD in!

Miranda makes a nice HDV to SDI encoder, but I need to be able to feed the BR-HD50 not play back from it. I can't be the only person who would want to take a SDI feed & record it to HDV!
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't think such a device exists - at least not yet. There are several choices for going the other way (Miranda, Convergent Design), so one would think it's not too hard to go the other way. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. A device like that would be very handy for creating HD masters of my FCP projects on HDV tape.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Eric,

You can lay HDV back to tape from FCP. And that gives me an idea! I might be able to get a HDSDI signal back to my FCP suite and record that signal straight into FCP then lay the whole thing off to HDV!
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Oh yeah, that's true, Adam... I guess what I was thinking was from outside FCP... If it's a dub from some other HD source that's not HDV, in other words. An HD dub from a DVCPRO-HD VTR, for instance...

I'm not sure how far an HD-SDI signal can run before it degrades, but it's worth a try for your situation.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/p...&feature_id=08

JVC's supposed to be releasing a encoder, but for a Expected price of 9k!!!!! how in the world can an encoder cost 9k when the camera only costs 6?
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

For the current time i'm giving up hope that i'll find anything that I can use to get a HD signal recorded here... so onto the next best option.

http://www.canopus.com/products/HDSC1/index.php

Canopus makes a HDSDI converter that will output a 16:9 signal on the S-Video output. Does anyone know if the BR-HD50 will then record that as a 16:9 signal or will it crop it to 4:3 or do an anamorphic compression?

If I can't have HD at least I can maximize the pixels available to me...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions