Any thoughts on this drive/array? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Any thoughts on this drive/array?

http://www.caldigit.com/S2VRDuo.asp

Thanks,

heath
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

A bit overpriced compared to what you can get. There seems to be a market for SATA Raids that give you the idea that you're getting an integrated solution, when the truth is you're getting the same off-the-shelf parts other people buying.

I was shopping for one a month ago. I wound up getting a 5-bay Sonnet Fusion SATA enclosure, and a Sonnet SATA port-multiplying card to go with it for $740. 4 250gb drives were $320. Another 320gb drive was $150ish. So I get 220MB/sec on 4 drives raided (empty), and a 5th drive to swap in and out for 25mbit projects. All for much less than the Wiebe or CalDigit setups.

BTW, I should note that I'm not usually the DIY-type for PC hardware. Usually DIY means to me that you're ok with screwing around indefinitely to get a piece of PC/video hardware to work when another company has already solved all those problems for you for just a few bucks more. Not so with SATA raids, it seems.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, Nate. Do you have any recommendations for a drive already built that's less pricey?

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions