Good graphic card for editing HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 18th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #1
Trustee

Good graphic card for editing HD?

Hi,

I've been using an nvidia geforce 6600 LE with premiere pro 2.0 to edit HDV (form an FX1) and I'm not happy with it. When it optimizes the monitor and the TV performance everything looks WAY too dark. So, I'm thinking about selling this graphic card and buying a new one.

Any advices?
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

For accurate monitoring, you should use firewire out to a TV or (better yet) a broadcast monitor.

This will avoid issues with interlacing, field order, Premiere not showing things right, pixel aspect ratio / resizing, video card overlays or weird video card settings, etc.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Ok, is there anyone who can advise me on a GOOD and FAST graphic card to work with premiere pro 2.0. I know I'm asking for much here, but I don't want to have to sell an organ to be able to buy it.
Old September 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Major Player

which card?

may not be of immense help to you, but have you checked the Adobe website for approved video cards? I know AVID does. I guess you may want to look at things like H264 acceleration in hardware etc
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #5
Trustee

MATROX PARHELIA APVe!

I usually don't capitalize with such fervor but I love this card with a passion. If your interest is editing, it's better to have a card that's designed for it in the first place. NVidia is for gaming. Recommended by Cineform, compatible with Adobe, displays three monitors (or two monitors and an SD/HDTV) at once, even suitable for the latest games! Killer. Just killer.

It's around $350 street.

Search ebay, you'll get some results as low as $320.
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
MATROX PARHELIA APVe!

I usually don't capitalize with such fervor but I love this card with a passion. If your interest is editing, it's better to have a card that's designed for it in the first place. NVidia is for gaming. Recommended by Cineform, compatible with Adobe, displays three monitors (or two monitors and an SD/HDTV) at once, even suitable for the latest games! Killer. Just killer.

It's around $350 street.

Search ebay, you'll get some results as low as $320.
THAT is what I wanted to hear! I've searched the web and askeed around but I never got the answer I wanted to hear "if you need a good graphic card for video editing which one is the one". Thanks, Ben!
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #7
Trustee

I was checking on the MATROX PARHELIA APVe (289€) and it really sounds like a winner. I also checked the more expensive Parhelia PCI 256MB (509€). Do you think it's worth the extra $?
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
even suitable for the latest games! Killer. Just killer.
I agree with everything you say, except for that last quote. I don't know what you consider the "latest games" but this card is not in that league. It will play some older titles well, and can do some of the classics in surround (3 screen) but it no way is it currently competitive as far a 3d gaming. Not close.
Old September 26th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Matrox cards do not have good OpenGL. This effects many video editing programs and most new games. We no longer recommned them to our customers.

I just posted a new article on our site that I think you will find helpful:
DIY–GPU: Picking the right graphics card for your NLE workstation
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html

Gary
Old September 30th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #10
Trustee

I read your article, Garry, and it really helped me a lot. Not the problem is that you advise one graphic card to premiere and another one to magic bullet users...and I use both. Would magic bullet's perfomance increase a lot by using the FX1500 has over the FX560?
Old September 30th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #11

rafeal - good point about the article. I'm going to have to explain this better. How's this:

While the 560 will get the job done for P Pro, the FX1500 is the better card. It's just a bit of overkill for P Pro users. If you also use plug-ins that have Open GL support (Magic Bullet, Borix FX) or you're using After Effects, then you want to go for the FX1500 or higher. The added performance of these cards will make your use of these programs more productive.

FX560 = good for Premiere Pro
FX1500 = Good for Premeier Pro and better for AE/Boris/Magic Bullett
FX3450/3500 = worth the added investment for power After Effects users.

Gary
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #12
Trustee

Thanks a bunch, Gary. I might be visiting you online store very soon ;-)
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan
I just posted a new article on our site that I think you will find helpful:
DIY–GPU: Picking the right graphics card for your NLE workstation
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html

Gary
Maybe I just missed it but there didn't seem to be any advice for FCP users. Do you guys deal with FCP at all?
Maat Vansloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #14

we do a little FCP. We're not nearly as hardware savy w/ Mac as PCs. I will be adding a section on for FCP users down the road.

Gary
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:56 AM   #15
Inner Circle

i do not really see the point to change a card just because the picture looks too dark.
Yes, nvidia has a problem with overlay that displays considerably different.
It is really annoying when you work into premiere with a still image with a particular contrast/luminosity on the monitor, and when you preview, it switches to another contrast/luminosity setting.
But a simple trip to the control panel of the nvidia card can fix this.
I see no reason to change a card for this reason only, especially if the new card could show the same problem.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions