liquid vs premier pro vs vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 27th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #1
Major Player

liquid vs premier pro vs vegas

Hi all,

I'm purchasing a JVC HD200 or 250 at the start of next year. I read some stuff here on the forums, and like all things it comes down to what platform etc. But my question for the PC guys out there, and that is now Vegas 7.0 is out, can someone tell me why, other than included hardware of Liquid Pro I would like to spend considerably more money with the other packages, being Premier 2.0 and Liquid 7.1?
It'd be great if someone who's had a dabble with all the packages and uses them can give some input. Are some more resource hungry? Do some have better codecs? When using HDV does it matter anyway, as it seems the way to go would be Cineform HD anyway? Sorry if this is one of those sore debates thats been hit before, but with the new Sony release, and I suppose one should consider also the new fcp release for PC, where should ones hard earned buck head?
Thanks for your time
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch
Hi all,

can someone tell me why, other than included hardware of Liquid Pro I would like to spend considerably more money with the other packages, being Premier 2.0 and Liquid 7.1?

Beats the hell out me. It seems some people here are either independently wealthy or rocking so hard with their biz that stuff like HD field monitors, and 600 dollars camera bags and 9 thousand dollar tripods are an after thought.
But if you're broke like me, get vegas 6 for 99 dollars.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Trustee

My 2-bits, are to use whatever package you like as long as it works with AspectHD or ConnectHD. Not sure exactly what advantages AspectHD has over ConnectHD so you might want to check that out. The Cineform products are the only ones that work with evrything HDV (and more) The JVC200/250's new modes will work like a charm with Cineform products.
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your replies

Thanks for your input guys,

I guess I'm just going to play with different demos and see how they feel. I've used Avid and like the flow and to me also the feel. But I just can't get past the bang for buck of Vegas at the moment. Especially here in Australia where we pay more for things as we're at the bottom of the globe, and our lovely government likes to tax things too much.
Logically, having never used Vegas though, if it does all things equal to the other packages, and I can later buy hardware for SDI input etc, then I find no reason to go to the other NLE's like Premier and Avid Liquid.
Thus the reason I was probing people who may be familiar with all the packages, even though one must conceive this as a rarity.
Cheers anyway

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch
Hi all,

I'm purchasing a JVC HD200 or 250 at the start of next year. I read some stuff here on the forums, and like all things it comes down to what platform etc. But my question for the PC guys out there, and that is now Vegas 7.0 is out, can someone tell me why, other than included hardware of Liquid Pro I would like to spend considerably more money with the other packages, being Premier 2.0 and Liquid 7.1?
It'd be great if someone who's had a dabble with all the packages and uses them can give some input. Are some more resource hungry? Do some have better codecs? When using HDV does it matter anyway, as it seems the way to go would be Cineform HD anyway? Sorry if this is one of those sore debates thats been hit before, but with the new Sony release, and I suppose one should consider also the new fcp release for PC, where should ones hard earned buck head?
Thanks for your time
Because with the Liquid system you're getting a system that is designed specifically to work with your camera. No transcode. The Liquid system is already setup and ready to go to accomodate your 60fps HD signal as well as ready to cut your 24fps film. If your cutting for TV and are delivering on SD (BetaSP or DVCam), you'll appreciate the Liquid Pro Box that can control your deck and still output your HD timeline in RT to the SD deck without a render (in most cases).

It's worth the extra 200 or 300 dollars to get an NLE that is designed to work directly with your native ProHD files.

S.Noe
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 03:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Stephen

from what I've found with Vegas 7.0 demo, its a bit clunky, and has crashed a quite a few times and doesn't play all the types of avi files from the media mgr window, or whatever its called.

So after I eventually get the Liquid demo happening I'd have a better idea, but have always in truth leaned towards it anyway. Is the only difference from Liquid Pro and Chrome Elite the hardware?

Thanks again Stephen, your a gentleman

Cheers

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions