converting 29fps to 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old October 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

converting 29fps to 24p

We need a 20 minute avi converted from 29fps to 24p. It's a documentary about these people making a short film. We filmed in 24p but their short film is in 29fps. So to put their short film into our documentary we need a high quality conversion. Adobe Premiere Pro's conversion stunk and it looked terrible. I realize it won't be perfect, but it needs to be decent. Does anyone know any video production house or someone that has the equipment to do that? Adobe's tech support said there is equipment that will do it professionally but it's 100s of thousands of dollars.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Wrangler

Since you're probably going to have to deliver whatever your end result is in 29.97, you might be better off adding pulldown to bring your 24p project up to 29.97 instead.

Here's the scenarios:

1-They shot 24p, but posted in 29.97: If this is the case, it may not be possible to convert to 24p without causing lots and lots of cadence problems. Only choice is to add pulldown to make your material match theirs. It will not change the look of your 24p.

2-They shot 29.97 interlaced or 30p: Converting this to match your 24p may significantly alter the look of their film. If they shot 30p, there's not really a good conversion to 24p.

Again, either way, making your stuff conform to 29.97 will not impact the look and will probably be the easiest.
Old October 13th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Okay, can you tell me more about converting 24p to 29.97? I still want to keep the film look and the vast majority of the film is in 24p. Exactly how should I convert the 24p to 29.97 to have minimal quality loss? What's the best best best way?

It was shot on 29.97 interlaced I believe (sony digital handicam). I have to make this decision in the next couple of days and I need to be sure the final product looks by far the best. The 29.97 parts in the documentary can afford to look less quality than the rest because their short film isn't the best of quality anyway. However, adobe's conversion made it really choppy which is very annoying and makes me sick to watch it. It is a real distraction. It would be fine if it just didn't look quite as good as long as it wasn't distracting or all that noticable.
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Canopus Procoder isn't particularly cheap but does do good conversions - 24->29.97 or visa versa - certainly much better than Premiere Pro. I believe there's a demo, so you can test it out first.

The virtualdub/avisyth combination can do even better conversions - for free using for example the mvbob plugin - but there's a learning curve to using those tools....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions