SEEKING INPUT on new QT HDV FREEWARE converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 21st, 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Major Player

SEEKING INPUT on new QT HDV FREEWARE converter

I find myself needing a converter to change the PC unfriendly Quicktime HDV to a PC friendly HD format.

I have hired a programmer to create a simple drag and drop program that will convert the Quicktime HDV format to a PC friendly HD file. I call it the Codeman Converter.

I will be offering this as FREEWARE once it is complete. I have been advised that I can pick either QT or AVI HD and wanted to know what you all would prefer the output to be. At this time I cannot output to m2t without a lot of cost.

I need to let my programmer in India know by tomorrow so that he can complete the project. I'm hoping to offer it as a Holiday present to you all, but we all know how software deadlines go.

Anyways, thanks for any and all input.

Cheers!
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Wrangler

What codec and wrapper would this convert to? Blackmagic codec avi?

It seems that the stumbling block has never been the lack of conversion tools, but the lack of codecs that are common between the NLEs on both sides.
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Actually there is a stumbling block right now with QuickTime HDV and the PC. They just don't get along. Until Apple updates Quicktime for the PC, I am trying to offer up a temporary solution for myself that I thought others might benefit from.

Ultimately you could convert it to whatever format you wanted. I am just trying to get over the Quicktime HDV/PC hurdle for now. It's really just a simple little down and dirty converter that will probably only be needed by a few people, but when you need it, it should really help.

What would be the most universal PC NLE friendly format? I know most of them can deal with AVIs, so this might be the route I go. Anybody?
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lucido
Until Apple updates Quicktime for the PC, I am trying to offer up a temporary solution for myself that I thought others might benefit from.
Apple will never include the HDV codecs for Windows Quicktime. Those codecs exist for the benefit of FCP users, and that's it. They don't even come with the standard install of Quicktime on a new Mac, you have to buy FCP to get them.

Quote:
Ultimately you could convert it to whatever format you wanted. I am just trying to get over the Quicktime HDV/PC hurdle for now. It's really just a simple little down and dirty converter that will probably only be needed by a few people, but when you need it, it should really help.

What would be the most universal PC NLE friendly format? I know most of them can deal with AVIs, so this might be the route I go. Anybody?
I understand clearly what you are trying to do. But the problem as far as I can tell is not the fact that there's not a conversion utility, it's the lack of system wide compressed HD codecs like DVCPRO HD.

Anyway, the only answer I can think of to your problem is the Blackmagic codecs. They're free, and exist on both platforms. But it's uncompressed, and that's a big problem for a lot of people.
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Major Player

If you can show me a FREE PC program that converts QT HDV to a useable file, by all means point me to it and I will not go ahead with the converter. I have searched and not found it.

Uncompressed Quicktime movies might be the answer. I do not care about size , and they can be rendered in most editors. Thoughts?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I didn't think you would be able to point me to a free pc converter. I decided to stick with a QuickTime solution throughout the process. I choose QuickTime Uncompressed.

If anybody is interested in helping beta test this converter, let me know.

Best,

Cody
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Keep us posted. There is a LOT of interest in this. If you can find any codec or format that can be accepted by Vegas and Premiere Pro, that would be great. If you can find one that Cineform's HDLink can recognize, that is optimum.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
I didn't think you would be able to point me to a free pc converter.
I never said I could, or would.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Good gosh.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I never said I could, or would.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Good gosh.
LOL. No problems. It is all good. Cheers!
Old December 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Update...

I just wanted to let anyone intereted know that I am getting closer to releasing the first version of the 'Codeman Converter'. I have just created the graphic skins and waiting for Ashok (my programmer) to complete the challenging conversion from QT HDV to QT Uncompressed on a PC. I am estimating next week.

Does anybody want to assist in beta testing this with me? If so, drop me an email.

Best,

Cody
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I think that this free program called MPEG Streamclip will do everything you need it to do. I could be wrong though. Check it out at www.squared5.com
Jared Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #12
Major Player

While that is a great program, it doesn't support QT HDV for PC.

I posted a beta graphic of the Codeman Converter's Skin on my Flickr site if anybody is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucido/335928832/

Last edited by Cody Lucido; December 27th, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #13
Major Player

Update....

I wanted to let you know that Ashok has completed programming on the video portion of the Codeman Converter - A considerable milestone. He has now focused on the audio part.

I hope to release this for the new year. I am still interested in anybody wanting to help beta test this thing.
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Update...

It works!

Ashok was able to break the Mac/PC hurdle and it is safe to say this pipedream is becoming a reality.

I am ready to alpha test. Anybody interested? I would like three people. If so, email me.

Thanks!

-Cody

Last edited by Cody Lucido; January 7th, 2007 at 07:27 PM.
Cody Lucido is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions