DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Why is M2t Files Play Fine But Converted to Avi choppy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/82353-why-m2t-files-play-fine-but-converted-avi-choppy.html)

Steven Houser December 22nd, 2006 06:39 PM

Why is M2t Files Play Fine But Converted to Avi choppy?

I dont understand! I capture m2t files,they playback great! Then everyone wants to convert to avi such as, with cineform or raylight ,then they files are almost 3 times the size and cant hardly playback with a media player supper choppy even locking up the media player! I just dont get it? you would think they would play better after these Special uncompression agents are used!
So what do I have to do Import m2t clip uncompress with cineform or rayligt then go to editor render to another format just to view it?
HDV seems to be the stress of my life at this point! whats crazy is that I can m2t veiw and edit fine with my system so speed and ram is not the issue!

Nate Weaver December 22nd, 2006 06:46 PM

System speed is your issue. One of two things at work (and maybe both):

1-What is the data rate of the new files? It's possible your hard drive can't keep up.

2-Some codecs enjoy accelerated viewing from the hardware of the video card, and some don't. MPEG2 decompression is likely accelerated on your card, which would explain why m2ts work better.

Steven Houser December 22nd, 2006 06:50 PM

Thx for replying nate!
1536 kbps is the data rate that is a test clip out of Dvfilm 19sec 2Gig

Nate Weaver December 22nd, 2006 07:22 PM

You're saying a 19 second clip is 2 gigs in size?

That's a WAY higher datarate than 1500kbs. Way, way higher.

[edit: corrected figures]
That file size and length implies a data rate of 105 megaBYTES per second, not 1500kiloBITS per second.

That means you need at least a 2 drive SATA raid, and more like a 4 drive SATA raid to play that file.

105 megabytes per second is very very likely in your case uncompressed.

Steven Houser December 22nd, 2006 07:57 PM

19sec 2 gig is correct! But Im not understanding the change that I should make? buy sata drives ? Im using external Hard drive usb2.0 1536kbps is what is says when I highlight the clip...

Nate Weaver December 22nd, 2006 08:04 PM

I have no idea what you're doing wrong in your conversion. I'm not familiar with DVFilm or the codecs it uses.

But if you have a file that's 19 seconds long, and 2 gigs in size, then it's way too fat for your current drives.

Chances are you're just using DVFilm incorrectly, converting to the wrong codec.

Steven Houser December 22nd, 2006 08:49 PM

You have been helpfull Nate I do appriciate the reply's
Does the rate sound correct 1536kbps?
also does the cineform tool makes the size larger is that correct?

Nate Weaver December 22nd, 2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Houser

No, it's way off. It's probably referring to something else entirely. I really wouldn't trust Windows to be coming up with calculated rates anyway, with non-standard codecs.

Quote:

I have no idea.

Steven Houser December 22nd, 2006 09:17 PM

Thx Nate! Im gona figure it out with DvFilm after the holidays!
Good Holidays to you Nate...

Robert Kirkpatrick December 23rd, 2006 10:59 AM

Quote:

You have been helpfull Nate I do appriciate the reply's

Cineform does make the file larger, but only 2x to 3x, if I remember correctly. I only get those wierd 2 gig sizes when I export an uncompressed avi -- that should not be the case. Something's wrong.

On my home system, a 2.4 ghz, non-dual core computer, Cineform stutters and freezes all the time, especially on if my preview window in Vegas is set to best or good. But sometimes, even m2t will stutter or freeze up. Just one of the things I have to live with until I upgrade my system (which I don't think meets Cineform's minimum specifications). But on my work computer (a core 2 duo extreme) and on my laptop (a 2.4 ghZ core 2 duo), there's no stutter or freeze at all -- except when I do lots of post-effects on my layered Vegas footage.

Are you on a slow system? Then if you're like me, and if I have a pressing edit, I sometimes use VASST's Gearshift program. It allows me to keep editing in DV and then switch over to the original m2t file (or the Connect HD avi) when I render.

Steven Houser December 23rd, 2006 11:13 AM

Thx for reply! Im getting rid of Cineform staying with RAYLIGHT!
WorkFlow for Transfer to 35mmFILM
I unistalled all codecs started from scratch about 3 this morning!
Raylight out put folder was incorect, seems to fix the problem..
Whew! It was weeks of rendering stress, All because Raylight output folder was not chosen! Also My system is Fine to Run these but not fully uncompressed files that would take a mean system to run !
From DVFILM:
If you use the Make self-contained AVI option, then no .rayl file is created. If your editing system has a dual disk stripe (RAID) system and fast dual core processors, you can safely choose the self-contained option.