Magic Bullet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic Bullet

I used Magic Bullet a couple of times. Here are my questions:

1) When do I use Magic Bullet is it after color correction?

2) When using Magic Bullet after performing color correction do I have to worry about if my footage is broadcast safe? I mean when using Magic bullet( Look Suite) do I have to have my Veterescope and Histogram opened and watch out for any broadcast safe footage?

Please advise.
Gilbert Khoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Magic bullet suite, editors, deinterlacing, look suite? what are you using?
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry I was not clear I am using the Look Suite with Final Cut Pro
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Gilbert,

1) It's generally easier to color correct your footage before applying MB Look Suite, get it looking consistent first. After all, you probably have to white balance some of it. Afterwards, prepare a specific Look and apply it to all the relevant footage, and then make minor adjustments as needed.

2) MB Look Suite will automatically make your footage broadcast safe, but you should still use your scopes to see what is going on. At the very least, with overbright footage, your scopes will show you where banding is occurring as you roll into your highlights.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you Tom I appreciate your feedback a lot.

If you want to create a new look how do save it so for the future you can use it after? I am using final cut pro.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I going to make it sound more complicated than it actually is, but here goes:

You can save any variations of an effect in the browser window of your project. So, the Look Suite Favorites is actually a FCP project with variations of MB Look Suite saved, each variation using a different name: LS Green Pearl, LS Buffulo, etc.

So, you have two projects open at the same time, the project you're working on and the Look Suite Favorites. I always drag a preset Look to the project I'm working on, adjust it to my liking, and drag it back to the Look Suite Favorites project. Now you have two presets with the same name, but the one you just dragged back is highlighted: just rename it (eg. LS Green Pearl Extreme) and save the Look Suite Favorites project.

That's it.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you Tom for all your help.
Gilbert Khoury is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions