DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   I need a lot of help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/85987-i-need-lot-help.html)

Shaun Conner February 8th, 2007 03:24 PM

I need a lot of help

I'm shooting with a sony hdr-hc3 and editing with Adobe Premiere 2.0 on a PC with 3.4 HT Ghz processor with 2.5 G's of RAM. My question is that I recorded a college band playing in a stadium at and indoors. After capturing the film via firewire evrything played fine, but after editing and buning to a dvd when a person stands straight and sways from side to side the video seems to jump or skip. Am I doing something wrong? Please point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bart Walczak February 9th, 2007 04:15 AM

What were your encoding settings? Did the movie play well after editing but before burning?

Shaun Conner February 9th, 2007 08:14 AM

The video showed perfect before burning. My encoding settings were at a Varaiable Bit Rate 2 pass, 29.97 drop frame set to Lower with widescreen 16:9. I know it has to be something with the encoding but I cant figure this out for the life of me. I even tried burning at a constant bit rate of 7 mbps and that didn't work either.

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 08:29 AM

what do you mean by jump or skip?

How is it when playing back the dvd on the computer? Is it fine...just on the tv?

Shaun Conner February 9th, 2007 08:34 AM

When I mean it jumps or skips it looks like the frame is skipping making the people look like they are jumping or skipping from side to side when it should just be a natural sway. It looks the same when playing the DVD on the computer and tv, but shows perfect when viewing before compressing for DVD.

Ervin Farkas February 9th, 2007 09:16 AM

Field order

Shaun, you probably have a problem with your field order. You are not specifying your settings, so it's hard to figure it out... I suppose you shot HD, correct? What are you using for mpeg2 encoding?

Try this: after editing your footage in HD, export it as HD. Then create a new SD project and import your HD footage, resize it and compress, author the DVD - this way Premiere will take care of the field order automatically.

Hope this helps,

Brad Tyrrell February 9th, 2007 09:36 AM

Messed up field order looks like that sometimes.

Various programs "assume" how you're going to use the footage unless you tell them differently. After a bit I did realize that field swapping is different than field ordering. Currently hdvsplit, premiere, Tmpgenc, and Encore are assuming correctly for me and I leave them alone, but I did a bunch of playing with switches for a while to get it right. Some of my attempts looked real "jerky".

Also, you'd think de-interlace means pretty much the same thing in all the programs, - not true. Tmpgenc does something interesting when you tell in not to de-interlace instead of "as needed". (More playing around)

I still haven't figured out exactly what each of the programs I use is doing. I just twiddled until it looked right. I was REAL worried at first, but now everything is OK. I thought I'd made a big mistake going to HDV.

Somebody here can probably give you more accurate and definitive info. Hold on.

Shaun Conner November 19th, 2007 11:26 AM

I just had to repost this. I tried the different suggestions and video is still the same. Can someone please shed some light on the subject?

Andy Wilkinson November 19th, 2007 12:00 PM

Not sure if it's a similar problem to what I was getting recently. Details on how I got round it and some other good suggestions from members in the link.

I know only too well how frustrating these things can be so glad to offer this as a potential source of help! Good luck!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=105442

Don Blish November 19th, 2007 12:24 PM

HDV2 (1080x1440 30i) is "upper field first" and DVD (NTSC or PAL) is usually "lower field first". Personally, I found it best to take my HDR-HC1 footage out to a Cineform 480x720 PROGRESSIVE .avi (no field dominance) before entering my authoring program. No skipping and no motion blur jaggies. The footage is much better than any Standard Def stuff I previously did....but then I'm now an HD snob!

Shaun Conner November 20th, 2007 10:46 AM

It was something good to see but doesn't help with what I currently have set up.

Don Blish November 20th, 2007 11:11 AM

I just checked, this approach is not tied to Cineform. From your HDV project (.m2t on timeline), "export", "movie", blabla.avi, "settings", "General"=output MicrosoftDVavi, "video"=720x480 DVaspectRatio=1.2, "keyframe and rendering" reset to "PROGRESSIVE (no field dominance). Use the resulting .avi in your authoring program (Encore, DVDit etc), or if you don't use one, bring it back into Premiere Pro as a new standard definition project and make your DVD from there.