24fps HDV in Studio10/VirtualDub/CommotionPro4.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24fps HDV in Studio10/VirtualDub/CommotionPro4.1

I've been interested in trying to get some sort of 24fps "Movie-like" look for experimentation, I'm having a couple of problems, and I'm not sure what the best route to take is.

My idea is to output from Studio to Commotion, apply 3:2 pulldown to get it to 24fps, then remove the 3:2 pulldown to bring it back to 30fps which should be similar to a film converted to video, I think. I did this once a while back with DV footage, but I'm missing something now and need help.

First problem was outputting from Studio @ 1440x1080 did not produce widescreen video. I presume this is because of pixel shape (square, 1.2:1, etc.)? I changed the output to 1920x1080 and that fixed *that* particular problem. Is that the correct thing to do?

The second issue is the conversion I'm doing. I import the footage (774 frames) and apply 3:2 pulldown. The popup window shows 30fps to 24fps conversion happening, and the resulting video comes to 619 frames (which should be correct). Now I seem to recall that I then have to convert this 24fps back to 30fps - otherwise the video will play fast. Unfortunately, I end up with video that plays very slow with obvious duplicate frames.

Thoughts?
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions