Editing uncompressed 8-bit - what drive do I need? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old February 12th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing uncompressed 8-bit - what drive do I need?

Hi all,

I use FCP 5 on the Mac and more and more I need to edit HD. What kind of hard drive / card configuration do I need to effectively look at 8-bit uncompressed footage without hickups. An 8-bit uncompresssed data rate is usually around 440 Mbits/ sec.

I usually edit HDV source 1st into a rough cut, then I do color grading and effects in a 8-bit uncompressed timeline, this is where I would like to do my monitoring, but for this I would need a super fast drive to push all that data through.

Anything you use? Any recommendations? I've seen hard disk/ PCI card systems that go for $3,000 - but I don't want to spend that kind of money. Do I have to?

Is a G-RAID2 7200 RPM SATA II hard drive with 16 MB of chache Firewire 800 good enough? Currently these go for $500 for 500 GB.

Thanks!
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

What type of Mac are you editing on?
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I think you will more than likely need a multi-drive raid solution for 8-bit HD.
Jason White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown
What type of Mac are you editing on?
Yes, sorry. I have a dual 2.7 Ghz G5 with 1 GB RAM.
Point Zero Pictures
Old February 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Major Player

"An 8-bit uncompresssed data rate is usually around 440 Mbits/ sec." I think 440 may be a little high for the data rate and sounds a bit more like how much space is needed per hour of footage. 8bit 720/60P is about 105 MB per/sec and 8 bit 1080/30P is around 119 MB per/sec, give or take depending upon your frame-rate.

Without getting to deep into off the shelf, pricier solutions, a best bet that would maintain the data rate to stream one layer of 8bit uncompressed would be this:http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...egory=2490#top. Coupled with four Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA drives, you'd have a relatively budget solution that would tide you over until you're ready for a pricier solution.

Also check http://lfhd.blogspot.com/2006/12/dar...sata-raid.html by DVinfoer Shane Ross about his journey to find a cheap uncompressed RAID solution.
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

bits and bytes

Many thanks Tim! Great resources and useful info. I like the cost of the Swift Data 200, looks great. Looks like this solution can really drive an uncompressed HD data rate.

I am correct and I think you are reading Megabits as Megabytes...

440 Mbits is HDCAM SR datarate or 55 MB/ sec (that's MEGABYTES) - I also checked the Quicktime player info on an 8-bit uncompressed clip (720P) and confirmed it said 440/ megabits per sec.

that's why I usually spell out "Mbits" because people usually confuse MB for bits or bytes and it's a huge diff.

Thanks again!
Point Zero Pictures
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Miklos, you are correct my friend. You would think that after all the time I've spent with computers I'd have a handle on bits and bytes, nevertheless bits and bytes will probably continue to baffle me.

-Tim
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Trustee

Just to note, the reason why Quicktime told you 440 mbit/s is because it must have been a 30p clip. 720p is usually at 60p which is where the 110 MB/S comes from. 30p is half of that or 55 MB/S or 440 mbit/s. 440 mbit/s for HDCAM SR is because of the 2:1 mpeg4 compression on the tape. There is no HDCAM SR codec to edit with and the footage is usually edited as just uncompressed or 120MB/S. If you plan on capturing uncompressed 720p then it will have to be captured as 60p. You will need at least a 4 drive raid to handle this for a decent sustained amount of time.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Ah, I see you are not planning on capturing HD but converting what I assume is 30p HDV into 30p 720p uncompressed. You will still need something that can sustain 55 MB/S. I think a G-Raid can sustain that amount but I'm not sure for how long.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Ah, I see you are not planning on capturing HD but converting what I assume is 30p HDV into 30p 720p uncompressed. You will still need something that can sustain 55 MB/S. I think a G-Raid can sustain that amount but I'm not sure for how long.
It's a tie between an internal solution of SWIFT DATA RAID drives (750GB) [thanks to Thomas] for around $350 and an external "LaCie Two Big" Raid drive 500 GB for $430 - the Lacie was supposed to give me 110 MB/ sec sustained data rates, I only need about 55 MB/s. The idea is that when I'm in 8-bit uncompressed mode when editing in FCP I would designate the RAID drive as my render drive and playback of clips would be sustained without a hick-up so I can check color-correction, effects and such.
Point Zero Pictures
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #11
Major Player

uncompressed footage will fill your hard drive up fast - so get as much space as possible.
A 4 drive RAID of 500gig Wester digital SE16 drives is what i use.
You will need more Ram than 1 gig. At least 2 but 3 or 4gigs is better.

How are you capturing your uncompressed footage ?
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall
uncompressed footage will fill your hard drive up fast - so get as much space as possible.
A 4 drive RAID of 500gig Wester digital SE16 drives is what i use.
You will need more Ram than 1 gig. At least 2 but 3 or 4gigs is better.

How are you capturing your uncompressed footage ?
Thanks Tyson, but if you look through the thread you'll see I'm only looking to use a RAID for uncompressed rendering of a near finished edit (not to capture or store). To check a final cut seamlessly. A 500 GB will give me about 2.5 hours worth of 8-bit uncompressed at 720P 30 FPS (calculated this with the VideoSpace widget from Digital Heaven). Is more RAM really necessary though, why isn't 1 GB enough? The drive supplies the sustained data rate, not RAM, even though it might be used as a cache, a fast drive is more important than the size of RAM as far as I know.
Point Zero Pictures
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions