Project Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Tourist

Project Help

Topic

Brett G - 06:50pm Mar 4, 2007 Pacific

Ok... Just recorded Three Tapes Of Video from an event which i want to edit and output DVD's which anyone can play.

I recorded All Footage on Canon XHA1 in HDV 1080i 60i I want to captures this video into my system and edit then output the DVD

I do not want to purchase any Plugins or Codecs of any kind.

I would like to Detect The footage breaks Automaticly so its easy as the footage has a few hundred clips in it.. HDV Split? Or I can set the canon to Downconvert and AV - DV which results in SD footage into premier.

I want to output something that looks correct on Both 4:30 and 16x9 tv's if possible or I am willing to make two outputs but not willing to edit twice.

I Need the Settings to get this on DVD that will play on most anything.. I tested the workflow as follows

Downconvert from Camera to capture in PP2
Placed clips on time line
Export to DVD
CBR 7 16x9 HQ with Mpeg audio on DVD +R

Result.. Picture looked Stretched on 4x3.. Good on 16x9.. Would not play on 4 yr old Sony 300 DVD changer "Message Disc is Dirty" Then random skip on PS2 playback. I need to know what has to be done to output this so that its universaly palyable..

I really want to get started so all the help I can get would be great..

Also

System
2gb ram 930D intel

Thanks
Brett
Brett Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Brett, for most of us here at DVi making a good DVD has a long learning curve to it! From your post I gather this is your first encounter with the process as a whole, so you might be better off taking some small steps... that's right, one step at a time.

I would downconvert in camera and work strictly in standard definition until I figure out the DVD burning stuff. Unfortunately there is no "push button" or "click here on the magic button and everything will be just fine." A 16x9 authored DVD if done right, should work full screen on a 16x9 TV set and have black bars at top and bottom on a 4x3 set, and this is what you should work toward.

Maybe you can come back with some more specific questions, the way you put it... it would take a whole book to explain.

Good luck, and welcome to DVi!
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Tourist

Thank you for the quick reply

First I just found that I can USE Sony Vegas 7.0d to capture the footage into the computer with scean detect and preview unlike in premier pro 2.0.. I want to edit in Premier because i understand it better.. Should I still downconvert in the camera or should i try to go all the way with the HDV footage so i can Make a HD version in the future?

If I down convert in the camera should I set the AV - DV feature on

If i down convert in the camera should I set my settings to NTSC DV Widescreen..

When I import m2t files from Sony vegas into premier They look messed up in the preview thumnails kida like digitial noise and geen, any fix for this?

What are the correct settings for this mode 180i 60i Canon XHA1
Field Order?
Frame Rate 29.970 or Double NTSC 59.940
Deinterlace Method: Blend Fields or NONE

Thanks much

Brett
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with your camcorder... for mine (Sony Z1U) there are a couple of small capturing programs that do a good job (GOP accuracy, time code, etc).

Yes, you can edit in native m2t on PPRO 2.0 but that has it's advantages and disadvantages. In the end I think you will have to give in and buy CineForm; as an alternative, you can go back to PPRO 1.5.1 and edit with CineForm (there is a free download on the Adobe site for that).

If you want to downconvert to SD, then yes, you need to turn on the HDV to DV function in your camcorder and set your project to NTSC wide.

The green blocks you see are probably due to lack of GOP accuracy: the first frame is not an I-frame. As a quick fix you can jump ahead until you get a clean frame and cut the beginning. The reason for those is probably a buggy capture.

HDV is upper field first, SD is lower field first, 29.97 fps. If your final project is to be viewed on a large variety of TVs, then keep it interlaced.

Hope this helps and others can answer your other questions.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Tourist

Thanks again.. On the Adobe forum the only answer to any question is to buy aspect hd or the cineform

Here is where i am at.. I currently Captured 3 hrs of footage into pp as DV it broke down to 296 clips.. I have started laying them out and cutting them on to the timeline..

I will be adding titles and all that stuff..

When i get to the DVD side I will ask more questions.. So far Its good..
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

This tutorial will show you all you need to know about making your DVD right from the PPRO 2.0 timeline: http://digitalproducer.digitalmedian...e.jsp?id=37104

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions