Mid Range Graphics Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mid Range Graphics Card

Hey guys!Thanks for everybody,i found so much useful inf here,and also inspiration;)i had couple of years pause in digital video world,after i sell my vx2000.This site and nice people all over the world started me again!So now i'm proud owner of xha1.
Problem is that i have already 4-5 years old p4,and of course this machine is weak for hdv.New computer almost on the way,mid range i can afford for now,intel core2 e6600 i guess anyway better as my old one.but latest question for me is videocard.As i mentioned all system is midrange,and myself i found out card like ATIX800 series.Editing i do almost with premiere.Of course i had read here many of information about all computer stuff but anyway i wanna hear opinions of older buddyes.Maybe the videocard must be completely different of my choice.

Best Regards

Raul
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

if using prem pro2, go for nvidia as it will give you may realtime capabilitiesanytign over the 7300range (pcie) or 6600 (agp) will do the trick
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Trustee

The best cost vs. performance right now are the Nvidia 7900GT and the 8800GS at $200 and $300 respectively. They are both PCIX cards. A reasonably fast AGP card would be the 7800GS for about $200.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thnx for everybody,as i understand,premiere don't use the power of GPU,instead of After Effects,is it right?So to do work with premiere can happen with any cheapo card.If i have lots of 3d rendering then i need powerful open gl Card?

regards

Raul
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Raul,

I know you said you use Premiere, but if you think you might use Avid in the future on the machine, get a video card that meets their system requriements.

BTW, how do you like the XH-1A? I've been considering one. Thanks much.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A pro video card will scale video a lot better than a "cheapo" card. This is important ir you are relying on your computer monitor for your main preview. If you are using a ntsc monitor outputed from a deck, then this is really a muut point, though. No, premier wot require much real time rendering ability, but your display will look much better. I would go with an nvidia quadrafx card (editor editions come with a break out box to output component right from you video card, sweet)
Greg Hartzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thnx for everybody!

Yes,I found out that nvidia quadro fx serise is quiet good choice.But i guess it stay far away from my possibilities right now.But of course i'm looking for one,and maybe upgrade to FX after some time.As we all know,what it costs today,it may be half of that tomorrow;)
About Your question,Peter,I like XA-A1 very much.As i'm previous user of sony VX2000 then i found much similar controls out there and of course tons of stuff what i missed already on my vx2000.So as the salesman told me,this camera becomes a hit and i agree;)
What i found out myself and here almost everybody (xa-a1 usesrs)can say,U must know the camera pretty well.If U get one or already have,spend time to make footage with different settings,Different framereates(autofocus not the same if 25F or 50i selected,50i focuses much quicker) and look at them.Then U exactly know how to put work this machine for U.And i guess U pretty amazed then;)

Best Regards
Raul
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

Hey guys,

I moved this thread to a more appropriate forum: HD/HDV Editing Solutions (the general page). Hope you get more answers!

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions