DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   What's wrong with my process? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/88394-whats-wrong-my-process.html)

Brent Graham March 7th, 2007 10:51 AM

What's wrong with my process?

I feel like I'm converting too many times. I need help exporting my cineform HD into SD without the repeated steps. How do others do this?

- I film full manual on a Canon XH-A1 to tape.
- I capture through PPro using Cineform Aspect HD intermediate.
- I work completely in PPro Aspect HD, finalizing the sequence.
- I export the sequence using Aspect HD avi.
- I then import that avi and downsize it to fit into a new SD 4:3 timeline.
- I then export that timeline to an SD avi.
- I then transcode that avi in encore and burn to DVD.

Seems long doesn't it? How can I go from Aspect HD sequence direct to encore without the whole downsizing/converting crap. This process just seems long.

Peter Ferling March 7th, 2007 12:49 PM

Capture directly with HDLink, and choose scale to SD in the configuration box.

Import into and edit in cineform SD project in PPro and export cineform SD avi.

Import cineform SD avi into Encore transcode and burn your DVD.

If you're aren't adding chapters, then just burn to DVD off the PPro timeline.

PPro handles scaling very poorly. So just work with SD to begin with and avoid that step.

Brent Graham March 7th, 2007 11:46 PM

Then why didn't I just buy a DVX100?

I'm editing in HD because I've heard that applying the effects in HD is way better than in SD. (makes sense)

Plus, I'd like to keep an HD master ready for when the clients call for it.

It seems to me that in this middle period where we're all filming in HD and then outputting in SD, there'd be some good, efficient, high quality way of downrezzing after HD editing???

What the heck is Adobe thinking?

WE'RE ALL DOWNREZZING RIGHT NOW!!! AND THEIR DOWNREZZER SUCKS?!

C'mon! Get with it adobe.

Peter Ferling March 8th, 2007 03:07 PM

Unfortunately, getting good SD from HD to rival original DV will require these extra steps. There are several threads dedicated to downrez, and they all involve extra hours that you and your client may not wish to endure. Certainly I can live with laying HD/HDV to tape and capturing as SD, or pre-processing to SD at wind up with 4:2:2 tack sharp vs. 4:1:1 ultra-soft.

Whether you do it up front or on the backend, you can't factor in PPro as the tool to do it. You are right though, working in HD/HDV has advantages. Often I will render a project to both HD for presentation, and SD for publication and having HD to master from is a good thing.

Right now this is par for the course, in which case, you should find a process that works for you and factor those extra hours into your production.