Best archival / mastering method for HDV projects?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Best archival / mastering method for HDV projects??

After your done editing a project originating in HDV - what is the best way to store the file for purpose of recording it to future mediums?
I have been creating an uncompressed master but these files are taking up a lot of hard drive space. What shoudl I be doing? Cineform? What about Motion_JPEG? H.265 codec? I would assume going back to HDV would be destructive? Right?
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Write an HDV master to DV tape. Good measure for backup and if all else fails.

Long term:

Create a trimmed project to reduce folder size, and burn that project folder (minus clips, unless it's a really short project) to DVD. Do not rename the clips, do not trim the clips. If you've used timecode correctly, and you need to reopen the project later, then recapture the clips from the original tapes and relink. If you use a template or the same folder structure, all the better.

I can only think of one time that I needed to recapture a project in this manner. But that's what timecode is for.

Short term:
Hard drives last only a few years, and tape will last a decade or more (I've had hard drives die on the shelf already. Things freeze up or corrode). For me, most of my projects only last about two years, and wind up as complete reshoots, etc. I mark the date on the Hard drive, once the date approaches two years, I load up the drive and spin it for a bit to keep everything working (you have bearings on the spidles that will go bad if left to sit too long).

Hard drives that get constant use are automatically replaced after three years with new ones. It cost about $2500 and two-weeks to perform a data recovery from a failed drive (crack open the drive and read directly off the metal disks).

If I were doing this as freelance or outside clients, I'd charge the cost of the hard drive as expense.
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Major Player

agree, just make sure backup expenses are included in the budget
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Archiving from MiniDV back to MiniDV...

First I wrote about this title here but then decided to put it in a new thread, here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=642768

...it's about an idea of archiving re-encoded (!) material back to tapes....

Whatchathink?
Boyan Dob is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions