PC + Avid Liquid or Mac + FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 10th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PC + Avid Liquid or Mac + FCP?

Dear experts,

I am going to produce mostly 4:3 PAL SD TV with an Canon XH-A1. Sometimes also HDV. The raw material would be shot in HDV so I have a good archive. I wonder what is the best solution:

1) Buy a PC laptop plus Avid Liquid software. Could this downconvert HDV to 4:3 SD quickly? Does Avid Liquid accept Canon XH-A1? How much power do I need for the PC laptop?

2) Mac book pro 17 with Fincal Cut Pro. This would manage the A1 I'm sure but I suspect it would be more expensive than the PC solution.

What is your advice and experience?

Thanks Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Trustee

PCs and Macs are tools. Which tool are you most comfortable with,
A Mac or a PC?

For my portable solution, I purchased a New MacBook Pro.
That way I can run FCP or any other mac program I desire.
And I can boot up in Windows and run any windows app as well.
Sort of a double edge sword, if you will.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Does Avid Liquid accept Canon XH-A1?

You need to visit the Avid site.

Which is best pc or mac?

Who cares. Get the fastest machine you can. Broadly speaking the build quality of macs is superior but there are some good PC companies building laptops for video editos with quality components and suitable software bundled at not unreasonable prices. Off the shelf Intel macs are ready to go edit workstations. I use FCP on a mac pro and it's excellent, but if you need to keep your costs down the express version will probably do what you need.

Whichever way you go remember to buy a large/fast external HD for either laptop. Keep your projects on your boot drive and your media on the 2nd.

enjoy!
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

There is no right or wrong answer here (however you need to be aware that at this time Avid does not support the Frame modes of Canon HDV). What you need to do is get some "stick time" with both applications. If you don't have a Mac, find the nearest Apple Store or Apple retailer. The right software for you is the one that's most intuitive and comfortable for you to use.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks - which is best for converting HDV to 4:3 SD?

Thanks for your advice. I am familiar with Avid Express so that is why I consider the PC+liquid solution. But I am not sure it handles the conversion of HDV to 4:3 that well. The Mac FCP/FCE should be no problem.

Any advice on a good PC laptop for editing? Dell? HP? Compaq?

/Erik
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Palm View Post
But I am not sure it handles the conversion of HDV to 4:3 that well.
/Erik
Erik, Actually compared to Xpress, Liquid handles HDV to 4:3 very well. In fact, it scales to 4:3 cropped or letter box in real-time from an HDV MP@HL timeline. (fuse/codec) You can scale on a clip by clip basis or timeline using fit y keep aspect or fit x keep aspect. So, scaling tools are a strength in Liquid. Unlike the reformat Xpress effect pallette tools which IMO really don't do the job.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions