DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   Good Graphic Card? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/88982-good-graphic-card.html)

Piet Deyaert March 15th, 2007 07:27 AM

Good Graphic Card?

I found this cheap GRaphic Card: ATI 1300PRO with DUAL DVI out. I'm going to use it for HDV editing on 2 17" CRT monitors. Do you think it's good?

It also says PCI, does this mean this card has to placed in a PCI slot instead of the green slot my old grpahic card is in?
(Cause my pc is 3 years old, maybe the slot-type has changed?)

Thx!

Raul Rooma March 16th, 2007 06:40 AM

graphics!

As i know,pure video editing don't need high end card!So You choice is way to go.but....of course new motehrboards have already express pci slots for this type of card.in this point of view You can't insert this card into Your machine.I guess You have AGP for graphics card.My opinion is You don't need upgrade graphics card for pure video editing.If u already upgrade ,then whole system.Of course You will need new card if u need 2 monitors on desk.I use ati radeon 9200 still,what gives me 2 outputs,1 dvi,1 analog and it works well.

best regards

Raul

Robert Garvey March 21st, 2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piet Deyaert (Post 642058)
I found this cheap GRaphic Card: ATI 1300PRO with DUAL DVI out. I'm going to use it for HDV editing on 2 17" CRT monitors. Do you think it's good?

It also says PCI, does this mean this card has to placed in a PCI slot instead of the green slot my old grpahic card is in?
(Cause my pc is 3 years old, maybe the slot-type has changed?)

Thx!

You will get increased performance with a card that supports HD playback. I don't use ATI but the nvidia cards above 7000 support 'Purevideo' which is their term for HD playback. Will make a difference to experience. And PCIexpress is a different slot to PCI.

Cheers,
Robert

George Anthonisen March 22nd, 2007 06:11 AM

It all depends on the program that you're using. Vegas for example is a software driven program... you can use just about any graphics card... although if you use a cheap one... don't expect too much.

Not only do I have Vegas but I also have Avid liquid and Pinnacle studio 10. These programs are hardware based and NEED DX9 compatible cards with dedicated memory (256k for HDV)... but as to the QUALITY of the cards it, has been noted several times now that a cheap ati card for example will work just as well as a pricey one.

You need to check the slot type. There are 3 that will support video: PCI, PCIe, and AGP. All of these were around 3 years ago, so it's hard to say what you have in your machine.

George Ellis March 22nd, 2007 06:58 PM

George, the faster the GPU, the faster yellow slice render is. Also, the faster GPU can handle more yellow tracks for realtime playback.

Piet, if you are going to use something other than Avid Liquid or Pinnacle Studio, a nVidia card is usually better suited, but you cannot really go wrong with an ATI 1300.

Footnote - the nVidia 8800 series is currently having major issues with Avid Liquid and Pinnacle Studio. The Vista drivers are missing too. nVidia has been informed, but there has been no real response.

George Anthonisen March 23rd, 2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ellis (Post 646418)
George, the faster the GPU, the faster yellow slice render is. Also, the faster GPU can handle more yellow tracks for realtime playback.

You would sure think!

But it has been noted on the liquid board time and time again that the speed increase between a cheap and expensive card just is not big enough to be worth anything.

George Ellis March 23rd, 2007 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Anthonisen (Post 646661)
You would sure think!

But it has been noted on the liquid board time and time again that the speed increase between a cheap and expensive card just is not big enough to be worth anything.

Not my experience. I upgraded from a 9600XT to a X800XT AIW. And folks with X1900's can work more HDV tracks than I can without dropping frames as yellow slices.

Harm Millaard March 25th, 2007 08:38 AM

I concur with those remarks. On an older system I had an ATI X850 Pro with 256 MB, which I suspected was showing signs of dying on me. I exchanged it for an ATI X1950 Pro with 512 MB and my old system showed a marked improvement in responsiveness.