DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   High Definition Video Editing Solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/)
-   -   NLE workflow thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/high-definition-video-editing-solutions/89041-nle-workflow-thread.html)

William Osorio March 15th, 2007 09:29 PM

NLE workflow thread

I have no idea, but is anyway to do a sticky about workflow for the JVC's Cameras??
I'm in the need to have my settings for the HD110 using PC and Mac Platforms
Premiere 1.5, FCP 5.0, Avid Media Composer 2.6, Vegas 7.0d
Can you pass this on!

Thanks

William Osorio

Tim Dashwood March 15th, 2007 09:50 PM

The problem is that there is no "one" ideal workflow for every system or job. Different modes require different workflows on some systems. Some people want to capture in intermediate codecs, others want to use uncompressed via PCI card, etc. The NLE companies are constantly upgrading the software compatibility as well, so information becomes obsolete very quickly.

I think it is a great idea, and I have considered creating a thread in the past. However it would probably require a html website to do it right, with drop down menus for source format and NLE.

Jon Springer March 15th, 2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 642476)
The problem is that there is no "one" ideal workflow for every system or job. Different modes require different workflows on some systems. Some people want to capture in intermediate codecs, others want to use uncompressed via PCI card, etc. The NLE companies are constantly upgrading the software compatibility as well, so information becomes obsolete very quickly.

I think it is a great idea, and I have considered creating a thread in the past. However it would probably require a html website to do it right, with drop down menus for source format and NLE.

I'm still perplexed as to what NLE will even function with native 720/24p from the JVC camera. Avid Xpress does not support the codec and Final Cut Pro Studio is virtually unusable when attempting to capture it.

Jonathan Nelson March 15th, 2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Springer (Post 642492)
I'm still perplexed as to what NLE will even function with native 720/24p from the JVC camera. Avid Xpress does not support the codec and Final Cut Pro Studio is virtually unusable when attempting to capture it.

Just to let you know,

I talked to a guy from JVC and he said they have a firmware update that fixes the FCP capture problem.

I have no clue if this firmware update actually works but I am going to send one of my cameras out and see what happens. He sounded pretty confident about it fixing the problem.

Sean Adair March 16th, 2007 08:40 AM

wiki

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 642476)

How about a wiki? This would probably be functional enough with a list of links. There is a turning point when good forum information just gets so scatterred and searching just doesn't cut it.
I'd be willing to host a wiki and transcribe/paraphrase some info from here if there was a groundswell of support for the idea.

Chris Hurd March 16th, 2007 09:03 AM

The offer is appreciated, Sean, but for whatever we do regarding a wiki, a FAQ, etc., we're going to host those pages right here at DV Info Net in order to keep everything under one roof. Right now we have *some* JVC Pro HD articles, located at http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/#jvcgyhd100 -- HDV Info Net is probably best described as a sister site or sub-set of DV Info, but I'm about to do away with the separate domain and go with sub-domains instead, such as hdv.dvinfo.net and prohd.dvinfo.net. Anyway that link has been the basis for our Pro HD articles section but admittedly it has been slow to grow because I don't think very many people know about it.

This is no big secret even though I haven't said anything about it yet, but sometime around NAB or shortly thereafter, DV Info Net's static-side articles section is going to improve dramatically by virtue of a much tighter integration with the message boards, and the ability for Tim and other folks to publish content directly to the site without having to go through me or some other gatekeeper. The articles will look similar to what you'll find at the link I just gave, with the ability to include properly formatted tables, images, drop-down menus, etc. directly from the upload interface. This has been a long time coming and is a pretty big step for us, and I'm sure it'll satisfy Tim and everybody else here. This particular time, just prior to NAB, is always an intensely busy one, so just hold on for a while longer and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what DV Info Net can offer in this regard. Thanks in advance,

Sean Adair March 18th, 2007 09:56 AM

Good news Chris!
I certainly wasn't planning to steal any of your steam here. More integrated articles with improved interaction will make a great thing even better!

Heath McKnight March 18th, 2007 05:12 PM

Hey everyone,

I moved this into our HD/HDV Editing Solutions, general area forum, which is more appropriate for the discussion.

Thanks,

heath

Jim Fields March 18th, 2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Nelson (Post 642506)
Just to let you know,

I talked to a guy from JVC and he said they have a firmware update that fixes the FCP capture problem.

I have no clue if this firmware update actually works but I am going to send one of my cameras out and see what happens. He sounded pretty confident about it fixing the problem.

What are you talking about? I have a 110U and the only thing that drives me nuts, is the software, or camera breaks the import up each time I had a start/stop detection. I would rather have 1 continuous imported tape.

That way I can edit via keyboard in FCP, you know cmd 1, in-out, cmd 1, in -out, etc, instead of 13 bazillion clips ini my bin.

I have resorted to importing via iMovie to keep it as one cilp, and drop that clip into FCP.